9

~

' I mean, look, it's high school

' I mean, look, it's high school. It's hard to know who's on your side. Even on a good day. '

~

Bailey sat on Justin's bed waiting for him and Clay to get back from the house, their parents wanting to talk to them. She let out a huff, falling back to lay on the bed with her phone in her hand. She studied her face in the black screen, noting the now yellowed bruises around her eyes and across her face. She screwed up her nose at the sight, before sitting up as the door flew open.

Justin walked in almost calm compared to Clay's angry stomps, a scowl on his face. She cocked a brow at her boyfriend, who shook his head; silently telling her not to ask. He sat beside her, pulling his bag out from under the bed before he began to stuff his gym clothes into it. Clay merely grabbed his bag and leant against the kitchen bench, watching them.

'All I'm saying is your folks are doing the right thing,' Justin looked to the boy; 'You need a lawyer, even if you didn't do anything. Trust me.'

'What's it like? In juvie?' Clay asked.

'Dude, you're not going to juvie.'

'No... I'm an adult.'

'Clay, you just got to chill out. Just a little bit. It's going to work out.'

'Like it did for you?'

Justin paused and Clay quickly regretted his words, Bailey flicking her gaze away with a scowl.

'I have to go talk to Mrs Walker,' Clay stated.

'Why- Why the fuck?' Justin stammered.

'At the sheriff's station the first time, I could tell her the truth to her face.'

'Your mum literally just said do not do anything suspicious.'

'She also thinks I'm a crazy person.'

'I feel like you going to talk to Mrs. Walker right now kind of supports that theory.'

'They're getting me a lawyer because they had to take action. That's what she said.'

'Same for me.'

'Clay!'

The boy strode toward the door, slamming it shut behind him.

'Fuck!' Justin hissed.

'Don't even think about it,' She stopped him from rushing after Clay.

'Why?'

'Because there's nothing you can do to stop him, Just. You and I both know that.'

He let out a sigh, looking toward the door one last time before he nodded.