Chapter 39

The next day, the sound of dishes were disturbing Ara's mom. It was just 5:30am in the morning. The only person who wakes up early in that house was Ara's mom. Not just an early riser, but very sensitive and alerting even in her sleep. A sound of an ordinary pin falling to the ground could wake her up. Slowly, Ara's mom blinked her eyes at the sight of the red light coming from the small bulb in the same room she shared with her husband. Ara's mom was sure the person in charge had not woken up to change the fuse yet. Except from the dishes making noise, sounds were coming from outside as well. People were back on the streets to go to their various works again.

Ara's mom was surprised by who stood close to the zinc washing the plates they used last night. Ara of all people. Her only child who wakes up late in the house. Even to come out for morning prayer by six in the morning was a big problem for Ara. Now, here she was standing before the zinc very early to wash. "Ara is that you working very early?"

Ara turned and greeted. "Good morning Mom. I'm used to it now." It was something working for Prince Ire had instilled in her. He was an early riser who had his breakfast as early as seven in the morning. Something she had to adjust into to get paid for.

"Good morning. Hope you slept well?" Ara's mom replied. Suddenly, she thought Ara woke up very early so she could resume back to the palace since Ara's response to her last night doesn't show she was going to listen to her.

Ara gave a slight nod. "Yes I did mom."

"So, who are you now working for at the palace?" Ara's mom asked, picking up a broom to sweep the kitchen.

Rinsing the small bowl in her hand, Ara replied with a little smile. "I work for the King's second son. And I get paid really well."

Immediately, Ara's mom stopped sweeping. "I heard all his sons are just like him. Good looking and very educated like their father. So which one do you work for?"

Ara smiled again. Her mom was becoming too inquisitive. She was expecting that though. She decided to throw in her question too. "Who told you that mom? You seem to know them already." Then she laughed a little.

"Well, I reported you to your friend, Doyin. She told me everything. She even used my phone to Google the palace. I saw everything because I was curious. I wanted to know where you work. But when she told me the two Queens and some of the children live in the palace also, I was a bit scared because you will definitely be alone in such a place like that. Some workers might be too harsh on you. No polygamous family is that comfortable to work for."

Ara smiled. She realized how much she had missed her mom. "You are actually right mom. And the work is a bit hectic because you have to please them all and you..."

Ara's mom quickly interrupted. "Wait, did you meet the King?"

Ara couldn't help smiling at her mom's curiosity. She decided to tell her everything she could remember and couldn't help reminiscing those times they gist and gossip together. "I actually met him twice I think. Not everyone can actually get to where the King is. There are staff who prepare the food, staff who set the table, and higher staff who serve the King and the family. There is a tight security in the palace. There are policemen assigned to protect the King and his family. A lot mom. A lot. The palace is like a very big place. You could get lost in it."

Ara's mom laughed. "I see. Just be careful if you still plan on going back."

"Not anymore."