Chapter 7

People trooped into hall, greeting and smiling at one another. Many smiles that were fabricated seem real and friendly, but they all knew it was part of the duties to always appear happy and very accommodating even when they don't want to. While Ara and Grace walked towards the hall, it was just six o'clock in the evening. Expensive and clean cars were parked despite being said it was just a small party gathering to celebrate what was yet to be disclosed.

As they finally made it into the hall, some seats were already taken. Ara scanned the nooks and crannies of the hall with her eyes but found no one bearing Prince Ire. Even his brother, Prince Damola wasn't in the dinning yet. Both Ara and Grace quickly joined the line, standing on the same spot with Florence and Sewa. All the workers stood behind the visitors and could only come closer if anyone was called on to serve or called on for assistance.

Thirty minutes later, the persons who made it to the entrance got everyone's attention. Ara couldn't believe she was indeed seeing the respected and most talked about King live. He was putting on a long Buba and a short Sokoto made with shinning Aso oke in wine colour. On his neck were two, long and big red beads Yoruba will call Ìlèkè. And because it was on his neck, Yoruba will call it "Egba Orun". (Necklace).

On his two wrists were sitting the same colour of the same beads in twos. Ara could remember her Yoruba teacher calling that "Egba Owo", but she would rather call it Bangles. Many of them don't even know what these things are called in their native language again, she thought.

As the King made his way in, he adjusted his beaded Crown which was covering his head alone. Ara was expecting to see his face covered with long beads like in the movies, but it was different. She wouldn't deny the fact that, the King was looking extremely good. To her, Prince Ire looked more like the King. He has the physique while Prince Damola has his vibrant looks. She had seen Kings and Chiefs during the time she was still ushering, but never had she seen the King of Lagos in his flesh.

"The King greets you... The King greets you. Thank you for coming my people." He returned their greetings with his Irukere, lifting it up and down to acknowledge their greetings. People bowed as he passed. On his face was a big smile that made him look younger than his age, and beside him was...

"That's the first Queen. Queen Adetutu I told you about." Grace whispered beside Ara. Immediately, Ara suddenly took interest in her. The tall woman who was as fair as Ara, but glowing extraordinary under the royal care was putting on a small smile that would suddenly disappear and reappear, obvious to Ara that she was trying to play cool. She had on her neck and wrists her beads of recognition as the Queen, walking majestically beside the King with her eyes rolling and adding a little force to her shoulder that raised higher to her neck. She took her time to walk slowly  for her arrival to be noticed and for everyone to admire what she had on before taking her seat next to the King.

To Ara, she wasn't much of a beauty. She wouldn't want to say the Queen was exhibiting too much pride in her steps, but Ara couldn't help but spot the mean looks she was already giving some workers, complaining on not placing or doing something she instructed them to do. Her eyes were scolding the workers violently but she managed to restrain herself from passing that level, smiling at everyone that sought for her attention. She succeeded to scare some workers out of the hall to finish or bring whatever she talked to them about. Ara didn't like the first impression. She concluded the first Queen wouldn't be someone the workers could accommodate with.

"Kabiyesi o.... Oba Ayobami Adegoroye omo Mumusi o...."