Chapter 33

It was midnight, around 1:00am in the morning. Ara had told her sister the best time for them to talk was in the night. She tried calling Omoh's number but it rang and rang without anyone picking up. It was after she had woken up to take her supper that she got a call from her sister.

"Where did you drop your phone? I called two times."

"I was charging in the parlour before I slept off. Mom told me."

"Mom... She hasn't called me yet." Ara was a little bit down. "Is she angry at me? How is she?"

Omoh gave a little sigh. "Sissy, I bought her drugs with the money you sent to me to give her, but she didn't accept it. She rejected the money as well. Big sis, mom has been acting weird since two weeks ago. I just didn't want to tell you because I know you will be worried. Days ago she shouted your name from her sleep that you were in danger and came to meet me to call you which I did and we prayed together. She couldn't sleep through out that midnight that she went to the shop late because she slept back when it was fully morning. When I called you, I had to put it on loud speaker for her to hear your voice since she didn't want to speak with you. I know she just didn't want to admit it, but she's really missing you."

Ara had a little tear rolled down. "I do too, but you know Mom. She's really changed and I can't seem to understand her anymore."

"I noticed it too. But what she said this time around was too much. When I brought the drugs home, she was sitting at the parlour. I told her you bought it for her but she didn't even spare me a glance. When she finally did, she grabbed it from me and threw it outside the house. She said you are now sleeping around with a man too. Now you have money to buy her stupid things about. And now that he has bought you a house, you can't come home again. She said she wished she had not given birth to shameless girls like us. All we do is sleep around." Omoh coughed.

"She seemed a lot worried that she flopped up a customer's cake. Not seeing you is really affecting her work. I told her you are working in the palace but she didn't believe me. Sis, this thing I'm telling you, mom cried while saying them. I think she still can't get over Aunty Ibk's death because she started crying the moment she mentioned her name saying you will soon be used for rituals too and we will all end up turning her to a barren woman." Omoh laughed when she got to that part.

"Forgive me sis, but I think our mothers really need to accept that as we mature, we would attract men to us. Men younger than us, older than us and even old enough to be our father. As we are reaching this stage, the best way they can talk to us is to sit us down and let us know what we need to be careful about instead of screaming and shouting on us. They can't change the fact that we are growing but still, we will never be too big for them to talk to us." Omoh said, suddenly serious.

"I mean, we understand they love us and they want the best for us, but...."

"But they need to know that as we grow, we change, we face a lot every day, and with their advice we can be careful with our decisions rather than be careless and come home with mistakes that could bring shame to them." Ara added.

"Exactly!" Omoh said. "If I tell you that Dad's friend who is always coming to our house is using style to hit on me. He's already calling me to corner but Mommy will not see that one o. It's the money he gives me that mom sees."

"You now collect it?"

"I will not collect what!" Omoh said and that finally made Ara who was down a little to smile. "Sissy, I collected it big time. But anytime he's around, I stay in my room to avoid him, but mom will still call me out to greet him so he can give me money for us to share it together."