Shine so Bright That It Burns Their Eyes!

Life is funny

Life is funny... isn't it? Just when you think you've got it all figured out, just when you finally begin to plan something, get excited about it, and feel like you know what direction you're heading in...

The words the Old Hag had spoken to me were distinct and clear. No matter how much my thoughts wander off, her voice brings me back to the moment where I feel as though my insides are falling apart.

The paths change. The signs change. The wind blows the other way. North is suddenly South. East is West. And you're...

I nodded, agreeing to her words without hesitation, knowing that something like this was bound to happen. All I need to do now is absorb whatever is to be taught.

I gazed up at the sky, seeing the clouds floating by while I let out a long exhale, my warm breath coming out of my mouth like fog, since the area around me was quite cold.

At that second, when the Old Hag had declared that there was no turning back, I truly never learned what the words "I miss you" meant until I reached for my mama's hand, only for it to not be there.

I blinked back the tears, leaning the back of my head against the tree to keep myself from breaking down. "Lost..." I whispered, and took a deep breath to pull myself away and sit straight. "I'm lost," I repeated.

You're lost. And nobody can hear you.

"Maman," I murmured, looking down at my pendant after opening it to see her smiling face, hoping it would lighten my day. "What do I do?"

Why did I have to remember that now? That moment was a few days after I had arrived to Japan. That moment was a day after Frère and I had reunited. That moment was my first time I had ever gazed upon Suoh Mansion #1, the first time I have seen the kind of place Papa and Grandmother reside in.

I don't like one bit of my fate, knowing that I will forever remain under Grandmother's control.

But what can I do? I'm not as powerful as the matriarch of such a huge empire.

"I found you."

My breath hitched as I glanced up to meet a pair of brown eyes with the usual tint of gray. Now that it was the late afternoon, with the sun on its way of setting for the moon to take over the sky, the world around us was a beautiful golden. His gaze was instense, as usual. But the more they were laid on me, the more soft they became, as if staring at the moon glowing gorgeously in the night sky. I couldn't help but find myself lost in his sienna eyes, wondering if what he just said was true. For it seemed to be quite the opposite to me.

Sunshine.

That's what his orbs reminded me of. Warm, but intense... Like fire, attractive to the eye but can burn your very skin, flickers of golden ash lighting up the dark parts of his eyes.

I gulped, wondering how easily I had almost lost myself in his brown eyes again, hoping he wouldn't notice my little moment of admiration. "Of course you did. There are no tall hedges to hide behind, Kyoya."