Proof That a Child is More Mature Than 7 High Schoolers

I remember

I remember... when I was little—a toddler who'd run all over the place only to topple over from time to time, an energetic child of the house, the one always chased by the maids while dressed in an undervest—there were days when a beautiful melody used to echo throughout the hallways. The kind of melody you would sit and listen to, feeling it embrace your heart with love and warmth...

Maman always loved music. Playing the piano is what she learnt all on her own before her love for it grew. And playing it for my brother and me was what she loved most about it.

As toddlers, René and I used to sit on the ground and watch Maman play wonderful pieces. It's what we grew up with, and came to adore as much as she did.

When we were a certain age, we started to sit with Maman between us on the bench, observing the way she'd press the keys elegantly while a smile was displayed on her lips. It led to us giving the piano a go, taught to us by our wonderful mama.

"The music you play comes from the soul," Maman explained and placed René on her lap. She then proceeded to play a simple melody after René rested his little baby hands on hers. "It speaks words you keep locked deep within you."

I gazed up at her eyes, seeing how they twinkled passionately as she pressed each key, chuckling every time René pressed a key that didn't fit well with the tune. Although the melody she played was heartfelt and gave off a pleasant feeling, I couldn't help but notice the longing in her eyes. As though she was incomplete.

I reached out to Maman and clutched her hand with my own, not knowing how else to offer her comfort. I was a toddler, yes; but when I see my mama sad, it makes me sad too.

She glanced down at me with a smile, then brushed my short hair behind my ear. "I wonder what your melody would feel like, Sunflower."

On the top of the South campus, at the end of the North corridor, beyond the door lies-

"That's so dumb, Boss. I think this'd make Sis blend in with the theme more," Hikaru exclaimed and held up an oud, a pear-shaped stringed instrument.

I let out an exasperated sigh as Kaoru adjusted the necklaces I was wearing, ignoring his brother's bickering.

"Why should she hold that when she barely knows how to play it?" René argued, then held up a riq, a type of tambourine. "If my petite sœur were to hold this, her aura would be so feminine! And don't you think this would make her look more cute?"

My eyebrows flinched as I tried to ignore their stupidity, while Kaoru chuckled over their childish behavior quietly.

...Beyond the door lies the Arabian Kingdom.

Yes. That's today's theme. And since there's a little time left for the Host Club to officially open for business, we were doing last-minute checks to make sure our poses were on point. Haruhi, dressed quite pretty, held up a dallah—the pot used to serve Arabic coffee—while Kyoya carried a basketful of fruits. Although Honey-senpai, the twins, and René didn't plan on holding anything, why was I insisted to hold an instrument?