How to Be a Villainess 101!

The sun, which shines so bright, and the moon, that reflects such exquisite light

The sun, which shines so bright, and the moon, that reflects such exquisite light. But how can the moon truly glow in all its glory without the darkness?

I didn't know how it started, this fear of the dark. It slowly just came to be, and it's one of the worst things I've come to hate.

What made it worse, wasn't the darkness itself, but what lurked within... at least, what I imagined to be. Sitting alone in the dark, it's crazy how the mind can twist and turn for your imagination to unravel things that can make your skin crawl.

Monsters... Shadows... Unsightly things.

But as days passed by, right after I accepted my fate to be plunged deep into the depths of the ever-growing abyss just so my brother could walk towards his path of light, I started to question what my reason was for fearing the monsters.

Because, in the end, I realized that, the only way I can raise my brother to the highest of heavenly positions, I needed to become the one thing that made me fear the dark.

And that was to become a monster as well.

Wow, look at me, speaking big words, thinking big things, and doing absolutely nothing!

Anyway, moving on from that... Today's another day. A day where the hydrangeas are at full bloom in beautiful shades of blues and violets, while the weather was quite calm and peaceful. A perfect day to spend outdoors.

Welcome to the Heian period, the Golden Age of Japanese history...

Welcome to the Host Club.

In the corner where the yarimizu stream is situated, behind the bush of hydrangeas, you would find a small group gathered consisting of similarly dressed girls and another who stood out in her twelve-layered robe (otherwise known as jūnihitoe). The rest of the girls awkwardly watched her plucking the strings of the koto as she stared off into space, her mind not exactly present in the moment.

...Since I'm aware that I'm not being a really great hostess, I suppose I should focus back on my customers.

Raising my hand away, I glanced up at the group, consisting of my usuals, those being Seika, Jouri, Marie, and Kanan.

Understandable about the first three, but I'm still confused why Kanan continuously returns to be hosted. The only thing she could possibly gain from being my customer is amusement when she finds different and creative ways to degrade me.

Sighing, I met their gazes feeling rather shameful. "I apologize for wasting your time... I just don't feel that great today."

I would've taken a day off today, had it not been for the countless breaks I've previously taken. Sister-in-law is starting to become less patient with my absence and continuously haunts me with his shadow minions.

Chills traveled down my spine just by the mere thought of his glasses flashing, before clearing my throat and setting the koto aside.

It was an interesting instrument. Too bad I couldn't play it well to please my customers.