38. 𝚔𝚒𝚜𝚜 𝚊𝚝 𝚍𝚊𝚠𝚗 (ʀ.ʜ)

Kiss at dawn

You lay in your bed, your eyes closed. You were light sleeper, but it wasn't hard for you to get a good night's sleep. Your chest was rising and falling easily. You stirred slightly rolling over, the creaking of your bed pulling you from a dream. You sighed heavily, opening your blurry eyes. Looking across the lodging house you saw Race. His breathing seemed ragged. You bit your lip, contemplating checking on him. Maybe he's just warm, you thought to yourself. But upon a closer look, his face was contorted, he looked terrified. You shot out of bed. Quickly yet quietly, you made your way to his bed. You grabbed to wooden ladder and climbed up, perching on the side of his mattress. You watched him for a moment. Sweat dripping down his forehead, breathing hard and heavy. You'd seen the boys like this before, their terrible pasts plaguing their dreams.

"Race" you whispered, reaching out to touch his face. You pressed your hand to cheek, rubbing little circles against his skin.

"Racetrack" you whispered again. It worked to no avail. You needed to wake him, but you didn't want to scare him. You swallowed hard before putting your hands onto his shoulders.

"Racetrack" you said, still quiet but more than a whisper. You shook his shoulders gently. You did this for some time before he began to stir.

"Race" you said one last time, hands still pressed to his broad shoulders. He bolted up right, almost knocking you off his bed. You let your hands fall down his muscular arms and onto his hands. His breathing began to regulate.

"Its okay, Race. It was just a dream." you cooed, trying to calm him down. He looked up at you, his eyes glassy, tears threatening to spill out. He blinked slowly, a few tears slipping down his cheeks. You reached up and brushed them away, letting your hand sit on his face. He placed his hand atop of yours and took a deep breath.

"No one's going to hurt you Race, I've got you" you said. He threw his arms around your body, snuggling his head into your neck. You could hear him sniffling and feel his sweat on your own skin.

"Thank you" he muttered. The poor boy looked so vulnerable, his blonde curls a mess on top of his head. You knew not to pry, you just let him cry into your neck. You pressed a harmless kiss to the top of his head. Race pulled his head from your neck, his hands still gripping onto you like you were his lifeline.

"You're safe Race" you said with a warm smile. Race looked away, gazing out of the window wistfully. The sun had begun to rise, the sky a pale shade of blue. Birds were whistling the dawn chorus to each other. He looked back at you, not sure what to say next.

"Lay down Race" you soothed, wiping the hair off his forehead. But he didn't lie down, he stayed sat up and pressed his lips to yours. It was a quick, simple kiss. But it spoke a thousand words.

"Anthony" Race muttered. You cocked your head to the side slightly confused.

"My names Anthony" he continued. You smiled at him, honoured that he'd trust you with something like this.

"Thank you" was all you could manage. You kissed his forehead and began to shuffle away, getting ready to go back to your own bed. He clasped your hand tightly.

"Y/N stay" he whispered shyly. You nodded at him, watching him pull back his covers for you. You lay beside him and kissed his cheek again before closing your eyes. Trying to get in the last hours of sleep you could.

"I love you Y/N" Anthony said, when he was sure you'd drifted off.

"I love you too Anthony"

(A/N: Hello everyone, i actually have alot to say. First thanking you amazing people for 1K reads is my top priority. Up until like 4 weeks ago, i had no idea that this fandom was alive, so again thank you so much. Second, i finally after weeks of procrastination i watched the Broadway version of Newsies. It was good but i still prefer 92sies... (i missed blink). Finally #blm and i stand with you all. Stay safe and ilysm)