39. 𝚊𝚠𝚔𝚠𝚊𝚛𝚍 𝚔𝚒𝚜𝚜 (ᴍ.ᴍ)

Awkward Kiss

You walked through the streets of Manhattan peacefully. The city was bustling as usual. It was a beautiful day, the sun was out, the sky was clear, and you were happy. Someone ran past you brushing your shoulder, you didn't see them, but they had dropped something on the floor. You bent down and scooped up the hat that had been lost on the pathway. Standing up you looked around for whoever could have dropped it however there was no one in sight. You placed the hat on your head with a giggle and set about finding its true owner.

"Extra Extra" a boy shouted in the distance; it grabbed your attention. The newsies of course, this was definitely a news boys cap. You followed the yelling through the marketplace and hordes of people. You kept pushing until you reached a crowd of boys. As you walked past, they all took their hats off in respect. One boy placed his hand to his head, feeling around for his hat. You giggled, taking the cap off your head, some stray hairs sticking out.

"This must be yours" you said, arm extended, cap clutched in your hand. He took it from you gingerly, a small blush forming across his cheeks. The other boys laughed heartily, dispersing to sell their papers.

"Thank you" the boy said, rubbing the back of his neck.

"I'm Y/N" you said, with a friendly smile.

"Mush" he replied.

That night Mush couldn't stop thinking about you. His mind was racing, full of images about how beautiful you were and how incredible you looked in his cap. As he lay in his lodging house bed, he knew he was desperate to see you again. So the next day he got up bright and early. He was the first in line to buy his papes and was out on the street hawking headlines louder than everyone else.

You were on your way to the store when you heard shouting. You smiled to yourself and pulled a dime out of your pocket and rushed over.

"Hi Mush" you said, flicking him the dime. The gave you a paper and tried to give you some change.

"Keep it" you smiled. You turned your back to walk away when his voice called out, stopping you from leaving.

"Y/N, will you go out with me some time?" Mush asked you hopefully.

"Of course" you nodded with delight.

"The Irving Hall, tomorrow night?"

"Sounds great"

After a long day at work Jack just wanted to relax but Mush was chewing his ear off.

"Please convince Medda to let me use the hall? Please Jack... PLEASE"

"Fine"

You took a deep breath as you arrived at Irving Hall on that warm Sunday evening. You pushed open the door nervously. Mush was standing with his back turned to you, a woman in front of his fiddling with what you assumed was a bow tie. The door clicked shut and Mush turned around. He looked so handsome in his little tie and cap. He smiled at you. You felt butterflies flutter in your stomach as he grabbed your hand and lead you up some stairs.

"You look lovely Y/N" Mush commented.

"So do you" you replied, blushing. The view from the top of the hall was mesmerizing. You gasped looking out at your hometown. It looked so small, so beautiful from up there. You pulled your eyes from the setting sun and turned to Mush. The two of you spent the whole night just talking. It was simple, it was calm, it was perfect. Mush could have sat there for the rest of his life listening to you laugh. He was certain this was going to go far.

"I best be going" you muttered, kind of sad.

"Yeah, me too" he said, feeling the same way.

"Y/N...can I kiss you" he asked politely.

"Yes" you whispered lightly. He brought his face to yours, noses bumping slightly. You pressed your lips to his slowly. He smiled and you smiled, teeth clashing just a little. You broke away quickly.

"Shit sorry Y/N, that was terrible" he uttered, ashamed.

"Its fine" you giggled, pecking him on the lips with ease.

"Goodnight Mush"

"Goodnight Y/N"

(A/N: This oneshot is dedicated to the lovely @unperro11. Thank you for requesting Mush, he is amazing. I hope you enjoyed this. Don't be afraid to ask me for a specific character. Thanks for reading, stay safe and ily)