8. 𝚊 𝚔𝚒𝚜𝚜 𝚒𝚗 𝚙𝚞𝚋𝚕𝚒𝚌 (ʀ.ʜ)

A kiss in public

"Y/N" Race yelled at you from down the street. You were carrying a brown paper bag full of groceries and needed to get home, but you didn't want to ignore him.

"Hey Race" you smiled at him stopping in your tracks. He ran over to where you were and began to ramble.

"Listen Race, I really want to talk right now but I've got to get home" you said cutting him off. You felt terrible, leaving him like that. You really loved Race and didn't want to disappoint him. His eyes fell to the floor and his posture slumped. You held the bag of shopping in one arm, using the other to cup Race's face. You pressed a quick kiss to his cheek before apologizing softly. Then you left the poor boy in the street.

You pursed your lips tightly fighting back tears and you reached the front door to your house. You knocked on the door and your father let you in, demanding you leave the bag on the counter and put on your best clothes. You did as he told you, changing into your best clothes. They made you feel confident and were fit for the pleasant weather outside.

"Y/N are you coming?" your mother yelled up the stairs. You pushed your shoes on your feet and rushed down the stairs using the railing to support you. You were hurried out of the door and into a carriage.

"Mother, where are we going?" you questioned politely.

"Oh, the Sheepshead races dear" she replied, you nodded in thanks. You looked out of the window, the fresh, green countryside flying past and smiled weakly. The races reminded you, of well, Race.

Once you had arrived at the Racetrack, you were escorted to your seats. Your father and brother placing their bets and your mother stood fluttering a fan delicately chatting formally with other women. As for you, well you just sat there, bored out of your mind. There was nothing interesting for you here, the real races didn't start till 3:00 pm and it was 1 o'clock in the afternoon. You were contemplating joining your mother in her boring, grown-up conversations when something caught your eye.

A paper being wafted through the air, along with a puff of smoke. You knew who it was in an instant.

"Race" you cheered under your breath.

"What was that sweetheart" your mum asked, leaning out of her mother's circle.

"Oh, I was just thinking about the Races" you lied through your teeth.

"Mother, do you think I could go get a paper." You asked nervously. Your family thought the News Boys were vile. That they were all, uneducated, dirty street rats. But obviously, you knew different.

"Yes, yes" she waved you off dismissively. You knew she hadn't listened to a word you said, but that usually worked in your favour. You picked yourself up and rushed off down the stairs. You plucked a dime from your pocket and rushed out onto the grass.

"Can I have a Pape sir?" you asked innocently. He turned round, pulling the cigar out of his mouth.

"Y/N" he exclaimed, the biggest smile on his face. He went to wrap his arms around, pull you into a warm embrace. But you shook your head.

"My parents are here Race..." you said sadly. He looked at the ground in disdain, just like his did this morning. You had never felt more guilty, letting him down twice in one day. You really loved Race and wanted nothing but to make him happy. You weren't ashamed to be with him; you just feared the unjust consequences that your parents would put you through. In fact, you were proud to call Racetrack Higgins your boyfriend. And that's when you kissed him. You pulled him into your body, your lips moulded together. He tasted of smoke and smelt like fresh ink. You basked in the scent as you placed your hands on his neck. He placed his hand on the small of your back. You eventually pulled away, smiling like you've never smiled before.

"Oh, um, your paper Y/N" he said, finally passing you the paper. You gave him the dime and thanked him, taking the paper from him. You walked away, back to where your mother was standing. You turned around and saw him pop the cigar back between his slightly swollen lips, getting back to his job, smiling like an idiot. Finally sitting down in your seat, your ruffled the paper and began to scan the pages.

"Um, Y/N, who was that?" your brother asked cockily.

"None of your business" you replied, burying your face in the paper, avoiding eye contact with anyone else.

(A/N: I've really been in Race feels lately so I wrote this and I'm honestly in LOVE with it, so there may be a part 2. This is written for either Broadway or Movie Race, so you decide. Personally, pictured movie Race but oh well. Thanks for reading, stay safe and ily)