42. 𝚕𝚊𝚜𝚝 𝚔𝚒𝚜𝚜 (ᴊ.ᴋ)

Last Kiss

(Warning: Poorly written angst)

"The governor is quite pleased you brought this issue to his attention" Denton remarked, clapping Jack on the back. You stood beside him awestruck.

"That's Teddy Roosevelt" Race whispered to you. You just nodded, eyes wide. Jack couldn't believe it. He turned to look at you, he looked as shocked as you did. You smiled at him widely and smiled back.

"He'd be honoured to take you anywhere...and this time you ride inside" Denton finished, his hand still resting on Jacks shoulder. Jack was still staring at you when Bryan made his comment. He swallowed thickly, pulling his gaze from your eyes.

"Anywhere? Could he drop me at the...um train yards" Jack asked. The boys around whispered...why the train yards...why this...why that. But you knew why. You felt your heart drop. After winning the strike there was a little pang of hope that Jack would stay in Manhattan. You knew how desperately he wanted to get up and leave, that Santa Fe was the one thing that kept him going.

"Sure" Denton smiled much to your dismay. Jack smiled too. You tried to smile, he was getting what he'd wanted all his life. A big life in a small town. As he began to push through the crowd, he grabbed your wrist.

"Y/N come with me" he whispered so only you could hear. You considered running away with Jack. But you shook your head.

"Im sorry Jack, Manhattan is my home and besides whose gonna look after those idiots while your gone" you replied, voice breaking. Tears welled up in your eyes as he shook his head.

"I understand" he said, wiping the tears from your face. He let his hand fall limp on your face. You reached up to run your hand through his hair. He let out a shaky breath and touched his lips to yours. At first it was light, just a fleeting brush. But you pulled him closer, his lips on yours passionately. You held him tighter than you had ever done before. His hand was still resting against your cheek, which was damp from the crying and his calloused thumb rubbed circles on your skin. You had to pull away eventually, you couldn't just hold him like this forever. He broke away sadly.

"Goodbye Y/N, I love you"

"I love you too Jack" you sobbed, hands outstretched, reaching for any last traces of him. He climbed into the carriage and sat down his back to you. As they drove away, he seemed pretty happy, waving to the crowds of people who had made this all possible. You just turned your back and shoved your way through the crowd.

"Y/N..."

"Where you going..."

"Y/N..." your friends called out for you left. You didn't listen, you just needed to get out of there. Once at the back of the crowd, you took off running. You didn't know where, you didn't know why but it felt like the right thing to do. The feeling of fatigue and lack of breath caught up with you and you sunk against the wall. Still sobbing, you reached up to touch your lips, Jack's taste lingering painfully.

That was the last time you were ever going to touch Jack, the last kiss you were ever going to have, the last time you would ever see him.

Or at least that's what you thought...

(A/N: Like i said, this is poorly written but hey ho. I based it around Jack going to Santa Fe and you really believe hes not coming back. But you read the shot, you know that... I'm gonna take a few seconds to plug my Newsies Crack book, so if you wanna check that out you can. Thanks for reading, i hope you enjoyed it. Stay safe and ily...)

(Also thanks for 2K, i don't remember if i've said this already but THANK YOU)