Chapter 38

The Riddle

The plane landed in California, and I didn't switch on my phone. I knew as soon as Iris saw me gone, she will follow me, but I do not want her to hurt herself because of me. I have hurt her a lot and everyone that is related to me. I have hurt them too. I looked at the cufflinks I am wearing. It was a gift from Iris on my birthday. It was before all had taken place.

"Iris, if I get out of here alive, I promise I will make it all right. I will have the dream wedding you always wanted to have. I remember the riddle, to the place where I have met her first time, but the her in the puzzle that is getting me thinking from sometime now. Who? Who this her can be?

Ursula? Can it be her? But then again my father introduced her to me for the first time. I was fifteen then and it was a business meeting. It was in a hotel here in California and he introduced Katie and his father few years earlier when I was twelve. It was also a business meet gala in some high end hotel, it was in New York City.

I have only one chance of finding out and I know he is here, but what if Katie is not? I saw a pay phone and I called Damien's number. He picked up after few rings. "Damien?" I called. "Samuel, where are you? Everyone is worried about you." He said. So the news of my departure had already travelled.

 "Working on a clue, can you check the hotel I am giving you address too, I think maybe Katie can be there." I said. "All right," I told him the address. "I will call you in few hours make sure to check it thoroughly."

I took off towards the place where Ursula and I met for the first time. It was an old closed branch of my father's company. Just a start up he used to own. I think I am going to buy the place and turn it into something good. But first I need to find out more about his game. Mr. Prince is not a person you want to mess with, but then again, he doesn't know me very well. Too. He will never ever know what hit him.

Now I need to figure out if he is keeping Katie and Ursula's son together. And I know the answer is in the riddle he had given me, and I know if I can solve the riddle I can solve the mystery of the location he is keeping her in. I checked into a hotel and paid in cash so that no one can detect my location. I do not want to take any chances.

After I have gotten myself cleaned up, I disguised myself as a tourist and begin my search. It was good that I was a face easy to forget. Or else, someone might just have recognized me easily. I put on a hat and concealed my weapon well in my boots covering it with my jeans. I walked out of the hotel and towards my new destination.

I took a rental car and drove it to3ards my destination a ran down building. It was in the center of the city and thankfully it was just a vacant area with not much human population in sight. Or else it can go bad to worse in minutes. I do not want anyone to be there when he executes his plan.

It is a trap you know? He is leading you into one.

I remember Iris telling me. But I didn't have a choice in this matter at all. I park at a distance and walked towards the ran down building. It was just as I remembered it, and it feels like yesterday I visited California for the first time and I was here when he had introduced me to Ursula. I walked towards the gate and pushed it open. If he would have been here, then why there are no men around?

Then was my deduction about this place was wrong? Is she not here? Katy, where are you? Where are you? I slipped in without being detected thankfully. And carefully begin to explore the place. I remember how lively this place used to be, only if it was not surrounded by malice and cruelty, which he managed to hide. I searched through the creaky wooden flooring and chipped painted hallways, still nothing.

But his signal traced to California. So, was he playing with me all this time? Leading me on? Do I really failed to understand the true essence of his twisted mind? No, I must not fail, if I did failed then... My phone rang and I picked it up. "going through old memories son?" he asked. "Where are you keeping them? And how you know where to find me?" He chuckled.