Chapter 30

The midnight talks

I walked through the empty corridors of the house. Until I have reached her room. No, I couldn't bear to be alone without her in this house. Besides I can keep a better eye on her like this. I cannot let her out of my sight and they are not going to allow me to stay the night so I have to keep her here where I can actually see her when I like to.

I sat down beside her on the chair. She was hooked to the machines. And that dream I had it felt so real. I know she is waiting for me to come back to her. She cannot be gone. Not like this. I know everyone is preparing for the worse. But how can you say that you are alright with accepting the one you love is gone?

I don't think I can ever prepare myself for that. I held her hand. Still so radiant and still so beautiful. She still is one that I fell in love with. "Hey baby, you missed one more day today. Our princess is growing beautiful day after day. She even looks like you. And that is going to be a problem" I smiled thinking both of them waiting for me as I came home from office.

"You know she going to grow stubborn like you are? I can see the signs baby. But secretly she is daddy's girl. She loves me more than you. And do not get to be envious of our relationship." I said looking at her still closed eyes.

 "Because I love her more than I do you, again you do not get to be jealous of our relationship." I said, I know you can hear me Iris, please respond. I am breaking apart without you. I am breaking apart and I need you so much with me. Can't you see?

I stroked her hairs. She was so still so silent. "baby, will you not talk back? I want you to fight with me. Anything, anything will be fine other than this silence." I asked her. As usual she was silent. Very silent. I don't know if she ever talk back to me again. If she ever will reply? Why are you, silent baby? Want to make your poor husband suffer? You want to, don't you?

It is because I have given you so much pain, you want me to suffer to, don't you? You just want to see me break apart. And I am breaking apart baby. I am breaking apart. There is so long till I can hold on. So long, till I can keep my sanity. 

Don't you see baby, I need you next to me? Alive and well? I know nothing about raising a kid. I thought we can learn together. I thought we can be together as a family. There was so much I thought we can do. But this was not one of them"

"Remember the Strawberry shortcake you love so much? I have grown the fresh strawberries in the month you are here sleeping. I will make you a batch when you wake up" I said. "Please wake up soon, I have a nice surprise waiting for you. I know you will like it baby. No I am sure you will like it." I kissed her forehead.

I saw the doctor was there to check up on her. "All yours Doctor" I said. He nodded getting in. He checked her and changed the empty bag of nutrients that was sustaining her. "How is she?" I asked. "Her injuries are healing, it will be well in time. However, it is up to her if she wishes to return to this place Mr. King. I will not get too optimistic." He said and then left patting my back.

I walked and saw my housekeeper watching me and then gave me a sympathetic look. How I started to hate that look. Everywhere I go I get that look, even Lucian gives me that look. She is not dead; I don't know why they think I cannot be optimistic. "Master, do you wish to have your dinner now?" Dinner? I didn't notice where the time did go by. I nodded.

The housekeeper served me. I saw the place next to me empty. My apatite vanished already, I cannot help but miss her next to me, laughing and teasing me all the time we had dinner each night together. She made me laugh, she filled my empty house with her laugh. How I miss her laugh ringing into my ears. I played with my food. I cannot keep it down. As her memories started to surround me I begin to feel lonelier.