Chapter 31

Regrets

My eyes met hers, I cannot believe she was looking at me and that she was awake. "Sam" she called in a voice that was almost a whisper. I can barely hear it but it was there. My eyes watered more. Am I dreaming again? 

By some fluke have I fallen asleep and dreaming of her coming to me like this? I have seen this before just when I think it is real, she vanishes, laughing at me. If it was another one of those dreams, I cannot take it anymore.

"Sam" I heard her call again and she was still holding my hand. "Iris" I whispered back still in disbelief. "Sam, it hurts..." She said. "Where baby?" he asked. "Everywhere, I cannot move without being in pain, what had happened?" She asked. "Nothing baby, everything is alright I promise, I promise." I said placing a kiss on her forehead.

I called the doctor after placing my daughter in the crib. She was fast asleep. I walk in the room to see her sitting on the bed talking to the doctor. She saw me and her face broke into a smile. Even after what I did, she was still happy to see me. Why? Why is she happy? she should not be happy knowing that I cost her, her life. The doctor stood up and walked towards me.

"Your wife is out of danger, now you should take very good care of her. The pain will be there for few more days, but soon she will be doing things normally. Just be careful and make sure she remains happy Mr. King, that is all. I have prescribed some medication, she shall take those, here take this it is list of medication. Take care Mr. King" He said.

I walked up to her and sat down beside her. "are you feeling ok baby?" I asked. "yes, the doctor had given me something for the pain and said it will go away in few days." I nodded. "You want to eat something? Shall I cook you something?" I asked averting my gaze.

 I cannot believe she is not mad at me for almost killing her. It was no one's fault but mine. I was the responsible one. "What I need is my husband next to me. Because for some reason he doesn't looks happy to see me well."

I looked at her into her blue eyes, "No baby, that is not true. Believe me no one is as happy as I am now." She held my hand and placed it on her cheek. "Then why are you staying far away?" Because I am guilty of a crime I cannot forgive myself for. And I regret not believing over you too much. I pulled my hand back. "Because you just woke up from a month old coma, your body is still very much weak and I am afraid to hurt you" More than I already did. Not that I can take it back any day.

"Look at me please Sammy" She whispered. I cannot look into those eyes, they don't hate me, but I do, I so do. I can never forgive myself ever for what I did to you Iris. She placed her hand on my cheek and turned my face towards her so that she can look at me. "Please Sam, what have I done wrong? Tell me, please." She whispered. "Are you still mad at me for not telling you about Ursula and my secret?" She asked.

"I am not mad baby, how can I be mad at you for doing the right thing? Now I have our princess and I can understand now." I said. "Then what is it? What is upsetting you this much? Tell me baby. Please" She said. "Nothing. It is still night, you should take some rest and I shall go, and make something for you." She held his hand preventing him from leaving. 

"Samuel Richard King, if you take another step away from me I will never talk to you again." No, I don't want that, to live without hearing her voice. I can take anything but this.

I felt her hand touching my face, wiping something. I was crying I haven't realized. "Oh Sam, I am so sorry, I am so sorry for saying those vile words, please don't cry." She said. I hold her in my arms and tears begin to fall for my eyes, all my pain, all my guilt, all my regrets came together to overwhelm me. To pull into a deep dark abyss to pull me in and not to let me go.