Chapter 45

The song!

________

The moving trucks were gone now. The loud thumps and beeping had stopped. The big white trucks were no longer outside of my house. The Iero's house was all cleared out. 

Frank didn't live next door to me anymore. We weren't neighbors anymore. I wouldn't walk out of my front door for school in the morning and have him right behind me. I wouldn't open my window and sit in it, listening to him play his guitar. I wouldn't be able to just go right over there and see him.  

He had a job too. Which occupied most of his time on the weekends. And we had school, of course. It was almost summer break, but I think he said something about his boss wanting him to work more after school it out. 

"Why did he have to grow up?" I said, hugging my knees as I sat in my window, tears flooding my eyes. "Why?" 

*********** 

The next morning, the late spring air was warm, and I breathed it in as I stepped out onto the sidewalk. I looked to my left, and I expected to see Frank come out of his house, but no. He didn't live there anymore. I realized that and kept walking. I walked to school alone. Frank wasn't at my side, stealing any food that I had, which I didn't at the time. He wasn't there making jokes, or holding my hand or poking me in the sides to be somewhat annoying. He lived on the other side of town. He didn't walk to school with me anymore.  

I finally arrived at the school and walked up the steps to the door. Spit wads were being flung at me. Crumbled up papers and insults as well. 

"Hey, Ally? Why don't you take off your hat, huh?" Someone asked. 

"Yeah, your hair's kinda pretty, right? Oh wait, I forgot. What happened again?" That comment earned laughter from the other people there. 

I clenched my fists and breathed heavily in anger. Frank wasn't there to stop me. "What the hell is your problem?!" I shouted. "Why can't you just F off, okay? Because I've had it with your shit. I have cancer, okay? Leukemia. The doctors said that they can't help me anymore, okay? So why don't you just leave. Me. Alone!" 

I held my stomach, suddenly feeling like I was going to be sick. I could tell that the people who had been spitting insult at me were somewhat shocked, but it soon turned into anger. I felt sick now. As one stood up, I felt an arm around me begin to pull me away from them, I still held my stomach. 

"Are you okay?" Frank's voice asked, I looked up to see that it was him who was helping me, not that I was really surprised, though. 

I shook my head. "I'm feel sick." He sat me down on a bench and knelt down in from of me. 

"I heard you yelling out there." He said with a chuckle, rubbing my hand.  "I'm sorry they were doing that in the fist place." 

"It's not your fault." I replied. I watched his hand rub in circles on mine, and felt the warmth of it. A tear fell onto his hand, making him look up eminently. 

"Ally, are you okay?" 

I nodded. "I'm fine. Don't worry. We should get to class, though." He gave a nod in agreement and we got up to make our way down the halls. 

He glanced over at me every now and again, not seeming to believe me when I said that I was fine. I wasn't, I felt like I was going to puke all over my shoes. The hallway started spinning and I stopped walking. Frank took a few steps forward before realizing that I had stopped. He came back over to me and rested his hands on my shoulder. I lowered my gaze a bit, he lifted my chin up, looking me in the eyes.