Chapter Fifty-seven

Chapter Fifty-seven

-

"These are the ones I got Jack," Liz said taking a pair of trousers off of the hook and holding them up the blonde. To him, they just looked like trousers. But, he knew how much this meant to his mother and he smiled and nodded.

Alex chuckled at the blondes fake reaction, knowing that he had no clue what he was supposed to wear to a wedding. The whole process was a bit confusing and overwhelming for the young boy.

To make it slightly easier, Liz had decided to bring Luke separately, bringing Jack and Ben beforehand so she could test a couple of pairs on them and only one on the youngest. She knew the process was going to be difficult for Luke, trying on new clothes had been something he had struggled with ever since he left the ward.

Normally not because he had gained weight, but because he was realising that he couldn't wear what normal people his age were wearing. He couldn't just pick something up and it would fit him okay.

A couple of weeks out of the ward he had cried in a shop because his mother had to buy him a children's belt as that was the only one that fit his waist.

"Have we all got have matched?" Luke asked anxiously, taking hold of the fabric and running it through his fingers. He had to admit the material was thick but soft. They felt like better quality than his inexpensive school trousers that were overwork.

"Of course!" Liz smiled. "It'd be odd if you weren't. Do you not like them?"

Luke shook his head. "No, they look nice. I'll whatever you want- in reason!" he said looking over at the changing room. "Do you want me to try them on?"

Nodding, Liz put those ones back on the rail and looked through the trousers in attempts to find her youngest sons size. She pulled out a pair and held them up against his body. Both her and Alex could tell they were going to be too big on the boy despite his every growing stature.

"Go and give these a try," she told him quietly, handing the pair to the blonde and watching him awkwardly.

Alex placed a supportive hand around her waist, knowing she was even more stressed than usual.

"They're going to look ridiculous on him," she sighed.

Shaking his head the man disagreed. "We don't know that they might be okay." Changing the subject to focus on something more positive he reminded her. "Luke's doing well. We didn't think he would be this cooperative did we?"

Liz laughed in agreement. The whole process so far had been easier than expected. Luke had welcomed Alex to live permanently in their home. He had happily sat down for diner with them every night and he was doing whatever his mother asked regarding the wedding. He was just as cooperative as the Luke before he fell mentally ill.

Slowly Luke pulled open the changing room door with a small frown on his face. The trousers were a little too short, but he was holding them up to ensure they did not fall down to expose his underwear.

"It's okay Luke," his mother assured him. "I can go and get them tailored in town. It doesn't matter."

Luke sighed and looked down. "Is there not a smaller size?" His mother just shook her and he muttered something and returned back to the changing room to change back into his usual black jeans.

"He's disappointed," Alex told her once again trying to bring light to the conversation. "That's a good thing."

-

Alex could tell both Luke and his mother were low in mood and as he spotted a cafe along the street he suggested. "Let's go and get a drink, it looks like it's going to rain anyway!" Obliging they both followed him and the trio sat around a small circular table.

Still sat in his coat, Luke pulled out his phone and saw a message from Ashton, that had to be received half an hour ago, asking if he wanted to go around his for dinner tonight.

Turning to his mother he asked. "Can I go to Ashton's house for dinner tonight?"

"You know you don't have to ask me, Luke. As long as you tell me where you're going," she told him gently, hanging her coat gently on the chair.

Thanking her Luke put his phone away and stared out the window at all the people passing, so carefree.

"What do you want to drink Luke?" his mother asked, snapping him out of his thoughts.

Luke shrugged, turning to look at the menu that stood behind the counter. "Maybe some tea?" The blonde then looked back around nervously and said quietly. "I'm, um, also a bit um hungry," he said honestly.

Both the adults looked at him in surprise. Neither had heard him say that in a long time and were not even going to bother to ask him if he wanted something to eat - knowing it would break his tight routine.

"You're allowed to be hungry Luke," Alex reminded him sensing how anxious the sixteen-year-old was with expressing the natural physical reaction.

Luke sighed and nodded. "I'm always hungry," he admitted shyly. He looked up to Alex and asked. "I'm not quite okay am I? None of those people out there would starve themselves like this?"

Alex followed his gaze out of the window. The man shrugged. "One of those people could be just like you Luke. No one ever knows what anyone going through until you admit it."

His mother reached over and gently took his hand. "We didn't realise you've been starving yourself Luke?" she asked concerned.

Blinking rapidly to fight back tears. "I don't know. I was eating, but it isn't enough is it? You keep telling me that but I was scared to eat more. But, those trousers should have fit me shouldn't they? If I were healthy they would have?"

Liz nodded. Feeling relieved that her son was finally noticing their concern. "You should of Luke. But you don't, and that's okay. It's good that you realise it though."

Standing up, Alex placed a supportive hand on the blonde's shoulder and told them both he'd go and order for them.

Looking up and meeting his mother's eyes he finally broke down. "I'm sorry mum. I really am sorry for putting you through all of this."

His mother too then began to cry, she moved up in her chair and patted the small space next to her for him to sit down.

He did with ease and cuddled into her side. "Look, you're so small you even fit here," she chuckled softly, wiping away her own tears and looking down at her youngest son. "You don't have to apologise, Luke, you never do. You can't help this, okay. I know that and I know sometimes I seem angry at you but it's all a bit confusing. I never know what you're thinking when you're eating and it's scary how quickly everything can change.

Luke sat their silently, calming down every second at the movement of his mother chest.

Before the blonde could say anything Alex had returned with a tray with their drinks on, and muffin for the blonde.

"I don't know if you wanted this," he said, carefully placing it down. "I got us some chips to share as well."

Sitting up the blonde kindly thanked him and held the chocolate muffin in his hand and smiled, showing it to his mother. The action seemed so childish to anyone who wasn't aware of the situation. But, to the family, it was of the most reassuring action they had seen in a long time.

-

Everything I've seen online today has made me really anxious and confused.

Please comment what you think.

Thank you so much for reading.