Chapter Fifty

Chapter Fifty

-

Not a word was uttered after dinner. Luke went to his room and stayed in his room. Alex sat in the kitchen, looking at the chair he previously sat in and thought. Liz went up to her room and cried. She didn't understand what was happening, why Luke had mentioned his father. He had not in years.

When Alex finally came up to her room, she was nearly asleep. "Did you lock the door?" she mumbled, cuddling into him. He told her he did and she hummed in acknowledgement. "What happened today?" she asked, wanting to sleep with an easy mind.

Alex shook his head and kissed her gently. "Not tonight. I'm going to talk to Luke tomorrow. I think this is something we need to figure out. I promise you everything will be alright though."

-

"Luke," Alex spoke gently as the boy entered the kitchen, dressed smartly in his school uniform.

The blonde grabbed a breakfast bar from the cupboard, wanting to get to school as quickly as possible. He anxiously looked over at the man who carefully chose not to sit in the same seat as he did yesterday. "I'm going to pick you up from school today," he informed the blonde.

"I like walking. It's fine," Luke dismissed, heading back towards the door.

"No, we're going to go somewhere and talk okay. Today."

"We can talk here," Luke complained, looking over at the clock.

"I don't think we can Luke. Because whenever I'm in this house you panic. You think I'm your father. We need to go somewhere else," the man explained, hearing footsteps upstairs, knowing the young boy's mother was about to come down.

Luke looked down anxiously. He knew he was right, but he didn't want to talk about it. It was something that he so deeply repressed.

"It has to be today Luke. Because this isn't just something affecting you anymore, it's affecting everyone."

Luke moved to the side as his mother walked in, Luke and Alex not taking their eyes off one another. "Is everything okay?" she asked, sensing tension in the air. "Luke is that all you're having. You're getting skinny again, you need to eat more."

Luke rolled his eyes and turned around to leave. Liz looked once again at Alex for his help. "Those things are packed with calories, it's fine," he dismissed carelessly.

She bit her lip anxiously and asked. "Luke is Ashton coming round tonight, I need to know if I need to make extra for dinner?"

Turning around once again, looking back at Alex and then his mother. "I'm going out," Luke stated. "Are we eating?" he asked the older man.

Alex shrugged. "If you want to. I don't mind."

"I'm eating out," Luke confirmed. "I need to go, love you," Luke rushed, leaving quickly to walk to school.

Liz looked sceptically at her boyfriend. "Where are you guys going?" she asked putting the kettle on.

"I don't know. Wherever he wants. We need to talk Liz, none of this is going to work if we can't sort it out."