Chapter Fifty-five

Chapter Fifty-five

-

Alex was boiling pasta when he heard the front door open, Luke and Liz entering. As soon as she entered the kitchen, Luke walking quickly up the stairs, he knew there was tension.

"How was it?" he asked. She had taken her son to the doctor after school, for his monthly check-up. Whilst Alex knew there wasn't anything worry about, she had been anxious all morning - but she always was.

Her son had been home for four months now and she felt that any progress he did or did not make was her fault.

Sighing she sat down and the table and shook his head. "I don't know. He's lost weight and his blood pressure was a bit low. But, the doctor said he's okay."

Turning down the stove, Alex sat next to her and took her hand. He had expected both of what she had just said.

"He's six foot now, you know? He's growing really quickly," she said, smiling to herself thinking about how small he used to be.

"They usually do around this age. Luke will, especially because he's finally getting the nutrients he needs. I think he's taller than me now!"

Liz chuckled and stared at the man. "Do you think I should be worried? I could see his ribs through his shirt the other day."

Alex sighed and looked over at the stove to check how it was doing. "I think Luke's okay. He's eating exactly what he has planned out. It is enough just about to keep him healthy. But, he's not going to gain any more weight unless he wants to."

"Can you speak to him?" she asked hopefully. She knew that her son was healthy, but she just wanted him to look a little better - fill out his clothes a little more.

Alex nodded. "I can give him some suggestions. If his blood pressure is low then I think we need to do something about that. But at the end of the day Liz, he's healthy and it's all up to him from now."

Liz didn't have time to reply because Luke had entered the kitchen and was staring at the pair, he had clearly overheard something but they didn't know how much.

"I don't want to eat any more than I already do," Luke told them bluntly. "Not at the moment. I'm not ready."

Alex pulled out the chair the other side of him for the blonde to sit down on and he did.

"That's fine Luke. Why do you think that is?"

Liz was watching her son hopefully. She just wanted them to speak to him. He always bottled things up and it wasn't good for him.

Luke shrugged. "I feel safe. I'm scared if I eat something else then I'll just relapse again."

Alex nodded understandingly. He wasn't going to force the blonde into anything he wasn't comfortable with. He wasn't his therapist anymore, he didn't really hold any authority. But there was still this implicit trust between them.

"I understand that Luke. But are you not feeling weak at all? You're doing a lot now, with school and having friends - and a boy your age your metabolism is probably through the roof."

"Sometimes," Luke agreed. "But I'm used to it, it fine," he dismissed.

Alex shook his head. "But you shouldn't be Luke. It's not something you should just put up with. If you're hungry or dizzy you should eat."

"I don't need to. I'm fine," Luke disagreed. "I don't get dizzy anyway, just a bit tired."

Alex sighed and looked at the boy's mother who gave him a reassuring smile. "Okay. Like I said we're not going to force you to do anything you don't want to. But I want you to just think about it okay. I know we knew to say it but you're a growing boy and what you need when you first left the ward isn't really enough. You don't need to make any changes Luke but maybe just have a couple of snacks a day. Even that's not going to impact your weight. It's going to help you maintain which is all we want. Just think about it Luke, take your time and gradually add things in. But it's going to have to happen because you're going to end up underweight again."

Luke didn't realise he was crying until Alex had finished and silence filled the room.

"What's wrong honey?" Liz asked, reaching over and taking his hand.

Luke shook his head. "Just overwhelmed-"

"Is everything okay?" Jack asked as he walked into the kitchen returning from work.

Liz hummed and stood up turning off the pasta that was now over boiled.

Luke wipes his eyes and stood up. "I'm tired, I think I'm going to take a nap," he mumbled walking away.

"Dinners nearly ready Luke," Liz warned.

"Put it in the microwave or something," he suggested, leaving the kitchen.

Jack looked around the room confused. "Is he struggling?" he asked concerned.

"He's always struggling. He just needs space."

"He needs to eat though. He's gotten so small again," Jack interjected back at the door.

"He knows what he's doing," Alex disagreed. "It might not be what we want but he's okay. Like he said he just needs space and time to figure everything out."

-

Sorry it's not that good and it's short!

Please comment what you think.

Thank you so much for reading.