Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

-

Ashton had been at the ward for nearing six months and his therapist had seen a great amount of progress in the seventeen-year-old. The curly-haired boy would never talk about how he was feeling in the first month or two, but over time he became willing to tell his therapist how he was feeling. Often going out of his way to tell him when his emotions were getting the better of him.

It took a long time for Ashton to even like the man, despite his illness that made him repress his thoughts, he was a highly social being. But, his therapist wasn't and he couldn't work out why he was one. Sid was blunt and was only down for business, never one for small talk.

But, today Sid could tell his patient was keeping his feelings to himself, unwilling or too nervous to share how he was feeling. The man had asked Ashton how he was at the beginning of the session, a typical welcome and he said he was fine, but his lack of cooperation said otherwise.

At first, the therapist let it slide, he knew Ashton was allowed to have days where he was off, his medication being less effective. But as the session progressed he got more agitated, knowing this wasn't the patient he was going to dismiss in a months time and was worried all his work had fallen to nothing.

Sid stood up and sighed, heading over to his window and looking out of it. Making it less intense for Ashton and himself, so there was no eye contact. "What's wrong Ashton?" he asked, watching some patients walk about on the freshly cut lawn outside his room.

Ashton shuffles about in his seat, he wanted to talk to someone but he felt awkward talking to his therapist about something so personal. Sid knew that he was gay, that was not what was worrying Ashton. "I'm fine, just overthinking a couple of things."

Sid didn't know if that was an invitation to pry deeper or it was just dealing with hormones. "I may be a therapist, but I'm not a mindreader Ashton," he stated. "If you want me to help you, you need to tell me what's on your mind. Whether it's associated with your bipolar or just in general I can try and help."

Ashton put his head in his hands and let it pour out, his guilt almost eating him alive. "I kissed Luke!"

Sid's eyes widened slightly and he turned around to face the boy who was clearly struggling, Sid wasn't sure what to do, however. He wasn't very good with the social aspect of life. "Ok, right, and why is that a problem?"

Quickly Ashton stood up, his body aching for movement, panic surging all through him. "Because he was vulnerable, I used him and I shouldn't have."

"Vulnerable? "Sid questioned, recalling who Luke was, his mind soon picturing the small blonde who he had caught hovering around Alex's desk. "Just because he's underweight doesn't mean he's vulnerable," he stated, hoping that would solve the problem. "Did he, uh you know, kiss back?"

Ashton nodded, pouring himself a glass of water. "He kissed me first," he whispered. "I think he wanted it but wasn't in the right state of mind, he had a hallucination or something."

The therapist looked at the seventeen-year-old confused. "Hallucination? Was it not a nightmare?"

"I don't know," Ashton sighed. "He said he was awake, he was so scared about there being something in the wardrobe and then he started screaming because it was attacking him. I think he was awake, I don't know I should probably tell Alex," the boy rambled, heading towards the door.

Sid quickly followed behind his patient, not objecting to the idea. "I don't think you should be worried about thinking you used him," Sid admitted. "Just talk to him, he probably is just as confused as you are."

"Yeah, maybe, we sort of just went silent and then—" Sid didn't feel comfortable hearing anymore, he gently knocked on Alex's office's door and let the boy in when a voice called from inside.

Alex knew Sid's knock, he had heard it for years but was surprised to see Ashton walk in first. "Ashton!" he said with confusion. "What can I do for you?"

"Just tell him what you told me, Ashton," Sid said, sitting down on a seat opposite the curly-haired boy, Alex sitting beside the therapist.

Ashton explained to Alex what he had said to Sid, being a little more detailed knowledge that it was important. After Ashton had finished Alex sat there silently, taking in what Ashton had told him.

"What do you think it is?" Alex asked, looking over at Sid for answers, he had his suspicions but didn't want to confirm them himself. He felt that he was throwing the burdens on the boy himself.

Sid shrugged. "It might have just been a nightmare."

"It's not just one-off," Alex confirmed, heading over to his desk and giving Sid the boys notes to look through.

Ashton sat there watching them both, their conversation only making him more anxious. He really liked Luke and was worried that this may ruin his chance with him, telling them something that happened in private.

"I guess the first option is psychosis," Sid suggested. "I'd get him tested for that, if he'll cooperate, it may be heightening his eating disorder."

Alex nodded and looked over at Ashton who was staring at the door like he was trying to conjure it to open and for himself to go flying out of it. "Ashton," Alex said softly. "I need you to not tell Luke about what we've just said, okay?"

Ashton nodded simply, he didn't want to talk about it. He wanted it all out of his head. "Can I go now?" he asked.

"I need to know you are going to be okay Ashton, that this hasn't knocked you back?" Sid asked, looking at his watch knowing there was still ten more minutes of the boy's session.

"I'll be okay," he confirmed. "I'm just being a teenager and Luke shook me up a bit last night. I think I'll go and sleep it off."

Ashton eagerly left the room and Alex looked over at the boy's therapist questioningly. "They kissed," Sid stated simply, not being one for gossip."

"Ah okay," Alex nodded, hoping it wouldn't cause too much of a problem. "The joys of being young, maybe they could help each other," he muttered, typing away at his computer to find links and forms.

"If you ask me, it's a bomb waiting to explode."

-

Thank you so much for reading!