Chapter Twenty-two

Chapter Twenty-two

-

Life just seemed repetitive and frightening for Luke. A month has passed and although there were a few hiccups along the way, Luke has been cooperative with taking medication and consistently attempting to eat as much of his meals as possible. Two weeks ago he had his tube removed, Alex confident that Luke would be fine without it now.

But, when Luke stepped on the scale for his weekly weigh-in the numbers hit him like a ton of bricks. Over the past weeks, he had been consistently gaining two or three pounds, which he'd come to accept after a couple of minutes.

Yet this week he'd gained four, now at one hundred and eleven and Luke felt disgusting. He suddenly became aware of his body. How he was basically twenty pounds heavier than when he had first entered the ward.

The blonde let a tear slip down his cheek, quickly wiping it away. "Luke, it's okay. This is a good thing, remember that and we have to take into account the side effects of your medication," Keith reminded him.

Luke shook his head not believing the man. "No, no it's my fault. I don't know why I let myself eat so much." He could feel himself shaking, panicking and he didn't know what to do.

Keith gently but with force pushed the blonde down on a chair and handed him a bottle of water.  After he proceeding to get out his phone and call the blondes therapist.

Luke didn't know what was happening. His breathing was heavy and jagged, his head was spinning and he couldn't move. All Luke could think about was how much weight he'd gain collectively. He couldn't believe how blind he'd been. He couldn't even comprehend what Ashton must have thought of him, how detestable he looked.

And what his mother would think we she saw that her son was overweight again. That she had wasted all her money.

The blonde felt his hand being drawn towards his mouth, and two fingers sliding in further and further. Luke began to gag but he hadn't eaten in twelve hours so only bile came up, covering the boy's fingers and on the floor.

Keith quickly put his phone down after hearing the wrenching noise. Keith knelt down before the boy and with a hushed voice instructed him on what to do. "Breath Luke. Slow and deep breaths. In and out, in and out."

It took a while for Luke to follow him, his mind too busy to acknowledge his voice but it soon let him calm down.

Keith was still calming the blonde when Alex has entered the room, only otherwise being occupied by paperwork that needed to be done. He stood in the doorway and watched his patient who had his eyes closed and was breathing unevenly. Alex didn't fail to notice the bile on the floor either but assuming it was just a reaction to the blonde panicking.

When Luke has calmed down, Keith stood up and smiled sadly, standing next to Alex. "He's been doing so well," he said quietly. "Gained four pounds this week."

Alex nodded his head impressed, knowing that was the greatest amount he'd ever gained and that it was deserved after the week the blonde had or even the month.

"Arguably, he's at a healthy weight now, his BMI would be over 18, but obviously it's still not ideal."

The grey-haired man nodded once again. Luke still looked malnourished. He has colour to his face and arguably it was bit fuller but he still seemed weak physically and mentally.

"This happens with almost every patient," Keith stated. "They get so far and fall back down again because they haven't progressed enough mentally to cope with the physical change. In the next couple of weeks, it'd be expected that Luke struggles to eat and therefore may lose weight."

Alex knew all of this but hearing it was defeating. He has worked so hard to get the blonde at this stage and to know it has all been ruined in a matter of seconds was frustrating. "Fucking nasty disorder," he whispered to the man.

Keith hummed in agreement watching the by wipe his mouth with the edge of his sleeve and stood up. "Just to warn you he was sick on purpose, stuck his fingers down his throat whilst I wasn't looking. Although I wouldn't doubt that he'd do it if I were looking, it was just standard reflex for him."

"Shall we get you cleaned up Luke and then have a talk," Alex suggested.

Luke looked over at the man vacantly and shook his head. "Wanna go sleep," he murmured, letting his feet drag him out of the door, not even halting at Alex's calls.

Keith smiled at Alex helplessly. "Can't be soft with him mate, if you let him skip one meal then it'll just become a habit again. Following standard procedure, make him go to breakfast and if he refuses to send him to Victoria."

Alex ran his hands through his hair with frustration. "Yeah, I know. I just hope it doesn't come down to that."

-

There's a time skip of about a month just in case anyone's confused.

Thank you so much for reading.