Chapter Forty-five

Chapter Forty-five

-

There was something different about Ashton's kisses. They felt like home. Like a place, he had always wanted but had never known. It always left the blonde in a state of confusion when he was finally alone again.

Every kiss warmed his heart like a nice cup of hot chocolate on a cold night, but could also freeze on a hot summers day.

His kisses sent Luke into a state of bliss that he always wanted to be in. They made him feel safe, secure and loved. And his hugs were just the same.

At school Luke often found himself thinking about the curly-haired boy who had left school and was already working. He wanted to be at school, he'd been there for three weeks now. But the distance from Ashton reminded him that something was missing from his life.

And it wasn't just Ashton. Sure Ashton evoked that feeling of absence. But, the absence was actually happiness. After a week of countless maths classes pondering what the feeling of emptiness he felt was, Luke, realised it was sadness. He was sad and he didn't know what to do about it.

He didn't know if he had always felt this way. If he was just realising it. Or if it was something new. He wanted to tell someone about it, but he didn't know how, or who. He really didn't want to feel this way, but at the same time didn't want to do anything about it.

Luke lay on his side facing the window, cold air forcing its way into the room. Ashton lay beside him. His arms around the small boy's waist, resting gently on his stomach. He could barely feel the blonde's bones anymore and that brought pure comfort to the older boy.

Today had been the blonde's sixteenth birthday, and everyone was just nervous as the blonde. Luke told everyone that he was okay to have a birthday just like every other normal person. Liz had made them all a little buffet and brought Luke a small cake.

Everyone was surprised at how well the blonde was coping. He had eaten a fair amount, even two slices of cake. They just hoped there was no turmoil - and so far it was nine in the evening and nothing had happened to alarm them.

"Luke," Ashton whispered after the silence and deep breathing of the boy were driving his slowly mad. He didn't mind just laying in silence with the blonde, it was calming. But, he didn't like to let Luke's thoughts roam for too long.

Luke hummed in response and turned to look at his boyfriend lovingly, moving his left arm from underneath him and bringing it to a loose strand of hair covering Ashton's eye.

Ashton moved his hand out from under the blondes t-shirt, well it was his actually. Luke liked to wear his t-shirts. Ashton didn't care. They looked better on the blonde. And he knew Luke liked wearing them because they were too big on him. Ashton touched the fabric and smiled. Luke was growing, in every way - he was basically taller than him now. And everything seemed to be falling into place.

"What?" Luke asked again, wondering why Ashton had said his name. The older boy clearly lost in thought.

"I was just checking you were okay," Ashton whispered. He'd done this countless time before, he thought Luke would have known the routine by now.

Luke rolled his eyes and nodded. "I'm always okay when I'm with you, Ashton."

Ashton bit his lip and nodded. He figured Luke still wasn't fully okay, that he wasn't as joyful when he was alone. But as long as the younger boy recognised that it was okay.