Chapter Thirty-eight

-

"Let me take it," Liz said, stopping her son from taking his suitcase from the boot on the car.

Luke sighed but let her do it. He wanted to protest that he was stronger now. But, realistically he was exhausted. This was the most he had done in a long time. He had to deal with loss, excitement, nerves and a long journey home.

He just wanted to collapse onto his bed, absorb the familiarity old his old room. The room and the walls that watched him stare himself to death. This time they were going to watch him struggle through recovery. And hopefully, he thought, him and Ashton.

Liz placed his suitcase in the hallway and watched her son as he looked around, his eyes loitering on the kitchen. The room he most feared for the past year he had lived in this house.

"I think I'm going to take a nap," Luke muttered, suddenly feeling a wave emotions fill his body, ones he did not want to deal with at present.

Liz smiled and nodded acceptingly. He had been quiet during the journey. But she didn't know what to expect. She didn't know what her son was like now. He was growing up, and maturing - he was becoming a different person and she had to get to know him again.

"Do you want me to make you anything for dinner?" she asked softly, not wanting to overwhelm and impose anything on him.

Luke looked down on the floor and shook his head. "I was thinking in the car - I sort of just want to start fresh tomorrow. Maybe with a clear mind."

"Okay," Liz sighed. "But, if you're hungry at all, let me know. Everything is where it used to be? You remember where everything is?" she asked, worried that he had lost his bearing around the house.

Luke chuckled and nodded. "I remember mum, I haven't got amnesia or something."

She smiled and pulled him into yet another hug. Placing a kiss on his forehead. "Do you want me to send Jack up when he gets home?" she asked curiously. She had invited Ben over for dinner tomorrow evening, hoping it wasn't going to be too much for Luke.

"That would be nice," he agreed. "Tell him he can wake me if I'm asleep."

She let the blonde go upstairs. Watching him disappear from his sight, into the room opposite the stairs. Her son was home again - and she couldn't be more content.

She knew that it wasn't going to be this calm in the upcoming days and weeks. But, knowing what her son was doing, made her that little but more relaxed. She could see him whenever he she wanted to, him not being ready to go back to school. Most likely having to retake this year anyway.

-

Luke was awake when Jack entered. He didn't want him awakening him, so he stayed away to wait for him.

Jack smiled at the boy and sat down the bed beside him. "It's been a while," he laughed awkwardly.

Luke looked at his brother curiously. He'd always admired both his brother. Especially physically during the last years. They were both strong and fairly masculine. He was not. He knew no one cared - there was nothing for with him being more gentle - but he felt sort of like a failure.