Chapter Fifty-three

Chapter Fifty-three

-

"What if he says something about my body," Luke asked as he and Alex grew closer and closer to the cafe where they were to meet the boy's father. He was become more anxious at each spin of the car wheels, his heart becoming louder and louder. And to calm his nerves he did what he felt safest doing, asking Alex a question.

"Then he says something about your body. You've changed Luke, and he's going to point that out. It's going to be the main form of conversation Luke, it's the whole reason we are going."

Luke shut his eyes tightly and shook his head. "I want to go home."

Alex sighed and checked his mirrors for any cars, before pulling over on the side of the road and turning the engine off. When feeling the engine stop the blonde opened his eyes and frowned. "No you don't Luke," Alex finally disagreed.

The sixteen-year-old was shaking, and clearly panicking about the situation and Alex said nothing less.

"What would you do Luke, if your father commented on your body?" Luke shrugged, he said he didn't know what he'd do. "Okay, what would you do if he called you fat?" Alex rephrased the question.

Luke's lip tugged upwards and he admitted. "I would probably laugh," Alex asked him why. "Because I'm not. It'd be absurd."

"Okay, and what would you do if he called you too small?"

-

And that was exactly what Luke's father said as his son sat nervously in front of him in a small cafe. 

His father stared at him astonished. Not recognising the blonde beside his blonde hair, blue eyes and his distinct nose. "Luke, wow - there's nothing to you. Is he sick?" he asked turning to Alex.

He didn't know anything other than the man was his ex-wife's boyfriend and that Luke needed to see him.

Sitting beside the blonde, watching Luke shy away into the corner of the booth, Alex answered. "He's nearly recovered now, haven't you Luke?" He wanted the blonde to speak. He wanted Luke to express how he felt.

Luke nodded, taking a quick glance of his father who was staring at him concerned. All Luke could bring himself to say was. "I nearly died. Did mum ever tell you?" His voice was hoarse and it was practically a whisper.

His eyes widened and he shook his head. Alex hadn't expected that either, but he let the blonde speak freely. "Died? No, she didn't want me in your lives. I don't blame her. Died? When?"

Luke shrugged. He didn't even remember how long he had been suffering for too long - it just needed to end. "Like a year ago." He turned to Alex and checked. "Twice, right?"

Alex nodded. "A couple of times, his heart was failing."

Looking between the pair, the father still wanted a clear answer for why his son had nearly died.

Luke took a deep breath and looked at his father in the eyes. "I starved myself."

His father didn't know whether to feel relieved or not. Whilst it wasn't a physical illness that was incurable, his son still looked sick. "Are you still?"

Luke looked over at Alex again, not knowing he was okay - professionally anyway. Alex happily took over the conversation, wanting to provide correct information. "He's doing a lot better. I would say Luke is eating well. He's just growing as teenagers do and he's not ready yet to increase that. But he's in no harm."