Chapter Three

Chapter Three

-

Liz had her head resting upon her eldest sons shoulder, her eyes shut. Yet she could not sleep. Her head was pulsing with thoughts about her youngest son. They had been sat in the waiting room for nearing five hours and had received no information about him.

Both Ben and Jack were on their phones, worried out of their minds and on games to keep themselves sane from anxiety and boredom.

"Luke Hemmings?" a stout woman said, approaching the trio her hair tightly tied up into a bun and dressed in smart attire. Her face with neutral but she gave them a friendly smile as to provide some comfort.

Her eyes quickly opening, the mother stood up out of the uncomfortable chair, her bottom numb from the constant sitting. Her two sons also stood. "Is Luke okay? Can we see him?" she asked, bombarding the woman with questions that had been flying through her mind the whole time. Ben placed a supportive arm around her, keeping quiet but watching the women intently, waiting for the information.

"Luke is conscious," she stated causing the three to let out a sigh of relief that the blonde was at least alive. "There are a few complications however that I'd like to talk over with you before we see Luke," she said, gesturing for them to follow her, they did so, the mother constantly opening her mouth to ask questions but closing it again not wanting to hear the answer.

Before they could make it to the doctor's office she began to sob and Ben held her tighter, Jack touching her arm supportively. The two young men trying not to break down themselves from worry.

"Luke's still weak," the doctor said, sitting down in her chair opposite the trio. "I'd thought it'd be best he wasn't involved in this conversation considering his state." All three nodded not knowing exactly what this state was. The women sympathetically handed Liz a box of tissues which she gratefully accepted.

"I understand this is going to be difficult for you all and you don't understand what is happening but we just want what is best for Luke in the upcoming future." She paused before beginning again. "Luke doesn't want to admit it to us, but it is evident from his body that he has been dieting extremely for a while now, it's hard to tell how long but we think around five or six months."

Ben shook his head in disbelief, he wished his mother had the will power to stop her son from overindulging or restricting his food and then by chance they may not have ended up in this situation today. He didn't blame his mother for this, but he knew it was a contributing factor.

"Luke has no excess fat or muscle left on his body, therefore his body is now targetting the heart for energy making it weaker and smaller. As a consequence, it has been pumping less oxygen around his body which resulted in him collapsing this morning. Luke was lucky he didn't die today, another day or two and that would have been the case."

Liz gulped and began to sob again at the thought of losing her youngest son. Jack bit his lip trying to hold back his own emotions, his leg bouncing up and down. "He hasn't eaten in days. He'd always have an apple at least, but this week it's been nothing," he revealed, letting his head fall into his hands, feeling responsible.

Ben reached over and put a supporting hand on his brother's shoulder. "It's not your fault Jack, don't beat yourself up about it," he reassured, trying to be the one to hold the family together, the role his father should be fulfilling. "So he has an eating disorder?" he assumed.

The woman nodded, looking down at a set of notes. "Most likely, yes. Luke shows all the signs of having an eating disorder. We still need to run some more tests and get a psychiatrist to examine him over but that is what we will treat him for, for the time being."

Liz sniffled and looked up. "Will he need impatient?" she asked, wiping her eyes with the tissue, wanting to be as strong as she could for her son and get him the best help possible so he did not end up in this situation again.

"That would be an option," the doctor confirmed. "It is up to you as Luke's mother to decide if you want a home treatment plan or for Luke to be put into an inpatient scheme, which is generally better for individuals like Luke." Liz nodded knowing what she wanted to do, having a clear plan vivid in her mind. "You've got time to think about it. See how Luke adapts to the diagnosis and therefore which option you think will be most suitable. You have to remember you are all in this together, you need to be there for Luke."

"I can move back and get a transfer to help," Ben said, knowing his mother could not handle her youngest son alone. He could only end up back here again.

"Don't be silly," she argued. "You don't need to do that. Let me think about it," she dismissed, her mind already set in a solution. She'd already been talking about it to someone for a couple of weeks.

"Okay," the woman said, beginning to stand. "Are you ready to see Luke?" Liz took a deep breath and nodded, letting Ben take her hand for comfort. "He has been asking to see you all," she said to try and cheer the atmosphere as she led them down the corridor. "He's been ever so good, a little stubborn but he's just troubled."

-

Please comment on what you think and thank you so much for reading.