Chapter Forty-nine

Chapter Forty-nine

-

"Is Ashton not coming around today?" Liz called out as she heard the door close, watching Ashton's car pull away from their house.

"He's going out with his friends," Luke yelled back. "I have work to do as well."

Liz smiled to herself, glad they were having some time apart. Space was essential and healthy in a relationship. She was also worried that Ashton wasn't doing things normal eighteen-year-olds do, like go to the pub and drunk with his friends. She did bring that up, and he said that it wasn't really his thing, and a lot of his friends worked. But, she told him Luke wouldn't mind, he was an understanding boy.

Luke collapsed onto his bed and took a deep breath before sitting up and again and taking off his bag. He was tired and ached, he knew it was because he wasn't eating enough. But he wasn't hungry and felt sick every time he tried to eat. And he didn't understand why. He had not really ever felt like this before. 

Slipping off his shoes and placing them beside his door he decided to go downstairs and get something to eat, to give him energy to get through the revision he needed to do for an exam the next week. They determined if he could advance into the next year, or would have to retake and he really wanted to be the same age as those in his year - not wanting questioning why he was a year older than all those in his class.

"Hey Lukey, you okay?" she asked, surprised to see him. He usually stayed in his room until dinner time.

"Just hungry," he mumbled. "Is Alex still having dinner with us?" he asked opening the fridge and pulled out a sausage roll. Liz looked at him impressed, that he was choosing to snack on something so big.

"Yep, dinner will be a little later, and Jack is going out now. I got some orange juice if you want some," Liz said, putting away the dishes.

Luke opened the fridge again and pulled it out, pouring himself a glass. "I'll see you later," he said, carefully carrying the glass.

"Have fun!" she joked, smiling to herself proudly about her youngest son.

-

Luke had his headphones in when there was a knock on his door, too busy writing out notes to realise.

It was not until there was a tap on his shoulder and he jumped that Alex was in his room. Luke put his pen down and took his headphones out.

"Dinner's ready, you're mum has been screaming her head off trying to get your attention!" He informed the blonde looking down at the empty glass and plate on the side, relieved that the boy was eating - he was growing taller and taller by the day and needed it.

"Sorry, I like to have my music loud," Luke smiled anxiously, turning it off on his phone and putting the lid of his pen on. 

"Learning anything interesting?" the man asked, looking over his shoulder at the textbook.

"Just biology," Luke responded. "Stuff about the heart. I have exams."

"Your mum said. Do you feel confident about them?" he asked, turning the light and shutting the blondes door for him.

"I don't know. It's not the end of the world if I fail, but I'd like to pass. It'd be nice," Luke explained as they walked down the stairs. Alex observing the pictures that he had seen before but also caught him off guard. 

"Luke I've been calling you for ages, you really shouldn't have your music so loud. It is bad for your hearing," she complained, placing the final plate on the table.

"Sorry," he said, sitting opposite her. "You could have just messaged me."

She rolled her eyes and took a deep breath. She was nervous, she really wanted everything to calm and normal, she wanted it to feel like a family meal.

Luke anxiously picked up his fork and looked at Alex out of the corner of his eye, already eating. He was sat in the chair that his father always sat in. Almost every harsh comment he ever made to Luke was made in this exact spot, and Luke was ready for one to leave Alex's mouth.

Each bite Luke took he became more anxious. He could feel his heart pounding in his chest, sweat building on his forehead. His foot tapping rapidly on the floor. After about five minutes, Luke dropped his fork into his bowl and froze. He gulped and closed his eyes tightly, hoping to hold back nausea he was feeling. But, he couldn't. Leaning to the side all the food the blonde had just consumed was on the floor. 

His mother frantically stood up and rushed to his aid, the boy sitting back up and closing his eyes, his breathing heavy. Liz was gently rubbing his shoulders, asking him questions that he couldn't understand. Slowly opened his eyes and met Alex's eyes. He was sat in the same position, calm and collected. 

"Luke, sweetie, please tell me what's wrong?" his mother asked for the third time. She was worried that there was something wrong with him.

Luke leant forward, resting his head in his hands. "I can't do it," he whispered hoarsely. 

"Do what?" she asked, offering him some water but he pushed it away. She looked at Alex for help but he sat there just staring at the blonde. He didn't want to be a therapist, he wanted to be his mother's boyfriend. Disconnected and helpless.

"Eat dinner with him," Luke admitted.

"Alex?" She questioned. "Why? You did it at the ward? He's not judging you, Luke, no one is," she reassured him, trying to get the blonde to calm down.

"He is," Luke disagreed, sitting up as she wanted him too, staring once again at the man. "He's sat there in Dad's seat. He's sat there watching me just like Dad did. And I know he wants to say something even though I'm just doing what any other normal person would do."

"Luke, what are you on about?" Liz questioned, looking between the pair. "Why are you talking about your father for? Alex is nothing like your father? Luke, are you feeling dizzy?"

Alex finally moved, standing up and going over to the sink to get some cloth to help clean up the mess. "I was watching you, Luke. But not like your father used to, but because I barely recognise you now. You are really getting better now, and I think after we overcome this last hurdle, the biggest one yet, I think you're going to be okay."

-

I am really enjoying writing at the moment and this book is not going to be much longer - so if you have any suggestions of what I could write next please let me know.

Please comment what you think.

Thank you so much for reading.