Inviting The Virgin (33)

Our pictures were already floating around the party. Every once in a while I’d receive one into my hands and someone told me to pass it on. In good faith I passed it to someone nearby replacing their solo cup with a picture of one of the contestants. The next challenge we were doing we would have a partner in crime; the only lingering question was what crime would we be committing?

            This whole weekend was out of my control and it was upsetting. In my former life I sat at home and did all my homework and watched movies with my family. What my life had turned into now was dangerous and unexpected and for a strange reason it was more interesting than homework.

            Looking around all I saw was smiling faces; groups of people having a good time with their friends. That is what I wanted. I had a lack of friends which meant I would have never gotten this invite.

            “Zack.” I called out although I knew no one would hear me amongst the crowd.

            My arms were out stretched pushing people out of my way while I searched for anyone that was familiar. Every face it seemed like I had seen before, somewhere in these halls but none have ever looked at me the way they did right now.

            People said hi to me while I walked past and it seemed like the judgement of being a virgin in twelfth grade had washed away. Most people didn’t care whether or not someone was a virgin or not but when it’s publically advertised usually the names stick. My eyes glanced up towards the large clock on the wall while the minute hand approached eleven a clock. At this moment my family must be extremely worried. It was Sunday night and I should be at home sleeping in my bed fully prepared for Monday morning. I had a biology test and homework that wasn’t completed but still I had bigger problems.

            Sandra and Nancy were both planning their own throw over of their maker both sabotaging each other while they struggled to get their hands around Stella’s neck. All of this while Stella had her sites on me trying to make me the example. If Stella succeeded in her plans either Sandra or Nancy would complete their tasks and we’d be stuck exactly where we were before.

            But there was one thing I wasn’t counting on; Sandra black mailing me.

            “Eden,” someone’s voice called me through the crowd.

            A group of people split down the middle while Adam emerged with a concerned look on his face.

            “Where have you been?” He questioned and I knew that I shouldn’t have invited him here. He was in college and brining him to my high school was just another reminder of the age gap.

            “I’ve been looking for my friends. They took off and I don’t really know anyone here.” I told him.

            Adam’s eye brow rose—“Isn’t this your school?” He asked and I realized how idiotic it sounded.

            “Well yeah but,” I started but stopped once his hand touched my shoulder.