Inviting The Virgin (42)

“Oh my God.” I slammed the screen shut making the whole room quiet.

            My eyes glanced between Mimi and Jordan. Each of them were looking away avoiding all eye contact—“This.” My teeth grinded together—“is staying between us. Do you understand?” My voice was as stern as I could muster.

            Neither of them responded but I assumed they understood.

            “I’m so done with this.” I rolled my eyes.

            I took strides heading towards the door. The video camera was strapped to my hand when I shoved it open. There was only one face shown in the first two minutes of that video. That face wasn’t Stella, Nancy or Sandra. It didn’t belong to any of the people I thought would have plotted my demise but surely it would lead to it no matter who had a hold of it.

            It didn’t take long to find the culprit—“I need to talk to you.” My voice was stern.

            Carter turned around confused as to the look on my face—“What?” he questioned. Things were still pretty strange since our dinner and were only about to get worse.

            “I was just wondering if you could shed some light on this.” I held a quizzical look holding up the camera putting it in his face.

            He stared at it unsure of what he was supposed to say—“What are you talking about?” he questioned setting down his drink on a nearby ledge.

            “Oh you don’t recognize it. It has been a while so maybe we can watch it.” My face pursed.

            I opened the video camera up pushing the play button right where I had paused it in front of Mimi and Jordan. I watched as Carter forced my hand to close it—“Where did you get that?” he stuttered.

            “The question is why the hell do you have it?” I shouted—“why does this even exist?” I was making enough of a commotion that people started to stare at us.

            “Can you calm down for a minutes so I can explain?” he attempted to put his hand around my shoulder and guide me towards a place where we could talk this over.

            I shrugged him off hard before shoving him out of anger.

            “You are a son of a bitch. Don’t talk to me.” I gave him a serious look not caring exactly who saw our fight.