Inviting The Virgin (41)

Turning on my heels I headed quickly towards the student centre. I was only a minute behind Mimi and Jordan but as I ran through the hallways I couldn’t see them. My sneakers squealed while I turned the corners almost falling off balance. By the time I saw them they were both opening the door and heading in, the key in Jordan’s hand.

            Stella knew that Sandra would help me anyway she could. That is why Stella gave Sandra the only copy to the cabinet to her. Stella expected Sandra to give the key to me and more than likely was waiting to catch me stealing the answers to our finals.

            Could you imagine pictures floating around of Eden Quinn, the virgin, future valedictorian stealing test answers? I had straight A’s without cheating but that wouldn’t be enough of an excuse to explain.    

            There was no time to call out to them before they entered.

            My feet didn’t hesitate to hurry after them. Attempting to be sneaky they had kept the light off and closed the door behind them. The tips of my fingers grasped the door handle just as it was closing.

            “Wait,” I shouted entering the room and turning the light on.

            Both girls turned around the key inserted into the cabinet but not yet opened. I had arrived just in time.

            “It’s a trap,” I told them remembering all my recent movie references.

            I could see Jordan smirk and chuckle but Mimi just knew it has three words strung together.

            My voice was raspy while I was forced to pause to take a few deep breaths. I placed my hands on my knees leaning over trying to control myself—“Why would Stella need us to break into her and steal a copy of a test when Sandra had the key to begin with? Stella would have just gotten Sandra or Nancy to steal it for her. She has other motives and it was to frame me.” By the end of my sentences I was gasping once again.

            “Seriously,” All three of us look at each other confused as to why none of our mouths has moved yet words had come out.

            Slowly but surely the one who had spoken rose from the dark corner. It was Nancy with a video recorder strapped to her hand. She sighed loudly the bright red light shining in our face before she spoke again—“Now there are only two reasons why you would have known. Either you’re actually smart or Zack told you.” She frowned.

            “But Eden, you were wrong about one thing. Stella wasn’t trying to set you up. I am.” Her face was twisted and sour.