Inviting The Virgin (02)

“I’m so glad you showed up, Eden,” Stella gushed in a high pitched voice swinging open the front door.

            It led to extravagance everywhere, from the pattern on the ceiling, crown molding everywhere to the expensive paintings and pottery. It was like stepping into a new world seeing how the other half lives. I stepped into the foyer seeing a spiral stairway disappearing upstairs while girls filled the sitting room. Most lounged on the abundance of furniture underneath a sparkling chandler.

            Quickly I was engulfed by two arms wrapping themselves around me. I was uncomfortable with Stella’s strange gestures of reassurance. Compared to the degrading conversation we had at school this was a complete turn over.

            To my surprise she grabbed my overnight bag that had been slung over my shoulder. Seeing her doing any physical labour was astonishing. She passed my bag off to her minion Nancy how dropped in into a rather large pile of assorted bags.

            Stella gestured me into the house telling me to make myself comfortable but personally I was at a loss. Never had I seen such a lavish place. Everyone gathered in this room was either an old friend whom pretended just two weeks ago that I didn’t exist or someone who I would never be acquainted to. Stella continued to stand near the door prepared to give a whole hearted welcome. I could see the expression on her face in between door bell rings; she was putting on a front. Glancing at the door I wondered how difficult it would be to grab my bag and make a sun for it.

            “Hi, Eden,” The voice sounded nice enough but looks can be deceiving.

            “Sandra,”

            She was currently Stella’s right hand women who in return of praise followed her every move while doing all her dirty work.            One year ago I could have called her best friend.

            “I’m glad you came.” Looking at her now it was hard to see any resemblance to the person I used to know.

            It seemed as if she had upgraded everything over the summer. From brown to blonde, glasses to contacts and me to Stella. These were all changes that I had refused to conform to. When I realized what society wanted me to turn into I had cut off everyone. There was a point when I was on my way rising to stardom, dating prince charming and walking with pride. All of it was pointless if I lost myself in the process.

            “Isn’t this just a lovely house, strange to think that this is just their summer house. Apparently this used to be a small private school but Stella’s dad bought it from them,” Her voice didn’t even sound the way it used to.

            It was a honey suckle sweet sound that sickened me.

            “It’s extravagant.” Nodding my head was the only response I felt like giving.

            I was both trying to sound unimpressed and discourage this conversation. She assumed that I was paying attention to what she was saying. Occasionally nodding my head made sit here longer. The clock was ticking by slowly while I avoiding socializing with anyone else sitting here.