Inviting The Virgin (03)

“Are you sure this thing is even going to make it there?” Mimi questioned in the passenger seat resting her seat upon the dashboard.

            As much as I wanted to keep this new friendship I still had more respect for my car than most eighteen year old. I had worked a whole just to buy this car off my neighbor and then it took another summer for my father and I just to fix it. 

            “First rule, no feet on the dash,” I told her using my hand to swat at her legs when she took my friendly tone as a joke.

            “Secondly, look at the directions. I don’t want to me late to the restaurant,” My hands gestured for her to do as I said.

            My fingers taped along my steering wheel to music that wasn’t playing. I was focused on the task ahead. Occasionally Mimi would gesture a direction or mummer left or right. Although she had the trusty help of Google we still had made two wrong turns.

            “Never mind, I can read the street signs,” I spat filled with frustration.

            “I’m sorry but I have such slow internet right now,” Mimi defended herself.

            Letting out a sigh I was able to calm myself enough to fully settle into my seat.

            “I’m sorry, I’m just really worried about this weekend,” I confided in her knowing that she felt the same way as I did.

            A cool breeze came in through the open window supplying me with some fresh air. We were all suffocated by Stella’s designer heels crushing our windpipes. The restaurant was in site on our left. I did a drive by seeing that all the parking spots had been taken. I scoffed at the horrible parking of others while I was forced to park almost a block away.

            We were now rushing down the street in small heels and unfamiliar clothes.

            Both Mimi and I busted through the front doors huffing while trying to fix are windblown hair. Searching in the door way I couldn’t see anyone I recognized. We had drifted away from our home town which was only half an hour from four other surrounding towns or cities.

            Off to the right there was a man wearing a red vest standing behind a podium. His face was looking down while he wrote something down. I walked up to the podium waiting for his head to rise so I could ask him if this was the right place.

            “Hi, I was just—” His hand rose stopping me from continuing my statement.

            I was taken back, the surprise shown on my face.

            “Excuse me,” Mimi blurted out outraged by his attitude.

            He let out a sigh unimpressed with just being there. He looked up for just a moment rolling his eyes, his lips tilted up revealing a smirk.