Inviting The Virgin (39)

“What are you doing?” The voice took me by surprise.

            Spinning around I prayed it wasn’t the person whose photo I had just taped to the mirror. If anyone saw what I was doing they wouldn’t understand. Maybe Mimi would understand. She was fond of the dog eat dog world but there was a part of me that was angry at her and a part of me that understood. We were all working together just to survive but I knew Mimi needed incentive even if I had to create it.

            “What do you mean?” I looked up from the counter and watched my observer in the reflection.

            “Well smarty pants that was a rhetorical because I just saw exactly what you did,” Sandra smirked leaning against the entrance way.

            Surely there was a guilty look on my face.   

            “Then why ask such a question?” I raised an eyebrow.

            “The look of shock, the blank stares and usually to see the lies that people are telling,” she snickered biting her lip before she let out a small cough.

            “Do you see any of that?” I asked her spinning around leaning against the counter.

            “No,” she smiled.

            “But,” I insisted on explaining—“I’ll explain.”

            “I need all the help I can get and without Mimi’s help I won’t make it. She’s helped me through this whole thing and I knew even if I accepted her actions right away she would question me. She needs to see prove that I will still stand up to her,” I told Sandra.

            It was clear by now where Sandra’s allegiance lied.

            She nodded her head—“You are more like us than you’d like isn’t it?” she smiled—“that is why this whole situation makes you so angry. Stella has a way of doing that to people. Manipulating them until they do what she wants.”

            “I’ll help you.” I continued to stare at her wondering what she was talking about.

            “I’m here planting the key.” Sandra took a couple steps away from the bathroom. I followed her watching her drop a small envelope into the top drawer of the desk—“I’ll wait here. Tell Jordan you know where to go and back sure Mimi hears you. She’ll follow you here and I’ll play bad guy. You’ll get your minions.” She had to take the fall in order to let me concur these battles for her.

            “Thanks,” my voice sounded genuine.

            “You better hurry.” She jerked her head towards the exit.

It had taken a while to find where the girls had gathered. It wasn’t in the main area but in a classroom I had never been in before.