37. Elle

I sat on the couch, my knees pulled up against my chest as I watched the television. Well, I wasn't really watching, it was more like noise to fill up the room.

I had no idea where Logan had gone off to and although I wanted to question him this morning, I fought myself against it. If he was telling me the truth and if that man went against his words, Logan would make him pay. For all I know, that's what he's doing right now.

My heart races in my chest as I hear the front door open, but I could already tell those footsteps didn't belong to him. Out of instinct, I rush to hide behind the couch, look for something I could use for defence, that's until Elon pops his head in the entryway.

"Why are you hiding?" He questions when he spots me.

"You have a key to this place? I thought you were a thief" I rise up to my feet.

"Thief? Logan runs a tight security up here, I don't think a robbery should ever be your concern. Might I also add, hiding behind a couch is not your best option" He chuckles.

"Why are you here?" I ignore his statement and ask out of curiosity, going back to my spot on the couch. Funny, how I've hardly lived here for only a couple of months and I already had a seat I claimed as mine.

"I heard the newly weds had their first fight" He says in an amused tone.

"Yeah, I don't think fight is the word I would use. More like your brother fucking used me" I point out, probably my voice indicated my anger because he looks surprised.

"I'm not trying to defend my brother but I'm sure he had his reasons. He always thinks through his plans so if using you, which I hardly believe was what he was going for, was his only option, I wouldn't blame him" He takes a seat beside me, adding, "I was there last night, at the dock, and trust me, he had made sure that nothing would happen to you. I've never seen him bringing in so many men for a meetup"

I close my eyes for a second, feeling a headache already bubbling up. "Why are you here again?" I ask him. We've already had this conversation last night and I wasn't looking forward to reliving it again.

"Well, I came to bond with my sister-in-law" He smiles and I see a glimpse of Logan's features in him. I can imagine him looking this carefree if he were to actually smile.

"He sent you to babysit me. Did he also ask you to say all those things?" I suspect, although I knew deep down only the first part of it was true.

"Please, I wouldn't be saying anything if he had asked me to. Now, let's head out. I've some things planned for us to do" He stands up, offering me his hand.

"What plans?" I stare at him. I did not think for a second that they'd want to sell me out again so quickly but at the same time I remember Elon trying to take me out that night.

"The last time you took me out I ended up getting married to your brother" I state.

"Your call, but I'm off today and I thought you'd be bored sitting at home so we could do something together" He frowns. I was indeed bored at home, and going out would put my mind on rest mode for a while at least. However, the question was, am I willing to trust another McKenzie man?

"Alright"

***

"You know, you're the only one who's ever guessed my favourite drink right in the first try" I admit, sipping on the hazelnut iced latte, with an extra pump of the syrup, he got me from Starbucks.

Our day together wasn't as bad as I'd expected it to be. Not once did he bring up Logan or anything from last night and I was actually thankful for that. At some point after getting lunch, I'd stopped being suspicious of him. I wanted to go check out this place where they were having a live orchestra concert but Elon suggested we head back home before Logan or he might get mad. That only showed he wasn't sent by his brother. Besides I highly doubt we could've managed to get in so last minute.