24. Logan

I had just stepped out of the shower when the low rumble of a car that does not sound like one of ours rolls in. I watch Elle hop out from a black Beamer X6 M, a huge step up from the disaster she rode out on.

The fact that she got in that thing and that her friend had no issues with it either, baffled me. Did he not care about her wellbeing?

I had to send out Doyle and Josh just to make sure she reached her apartment without having any car troubles. I observe the woman as she brings out her bag and tosses it somewhere near the stairs, heading back she reaches into her car, giving every man and woman who could be standing there a perfect view of her ass. Wait, what happened to the dress?

Next she pulls out a hard shell case almost as big as her and carries it into the house. She brought her instrument, that's what she went back for. I go back to getting dressed, I have never taken a woman to my childhood house. This is going to be different.

Elle knocks once before popping the door ajar and sticking her head in. "You can't just instruct your men to follow me around and not tell me about it" She pushes the door open when she sees me.

"Why? Were you planning on running away with your boyfriend?" Her expression fades at my words.

"What? No! Is that what you were thinking?" She questions and if I were to be honest the thought did occur to me.

"You did leave in a hurry" I point and she nods like she knows how that would look from my point of view.

"Get ready, we'll be leaving soon" I'm about to leave the room before the thought of her undressing starts attacking my body.

"Also, would it be okay if I put my cello in here? I gotta play tomorrow night and I need to practice" She questions.

"You can use whichever room you'd like, doesn't have to be this one" Her eyes sparkle at that as she starts tugging her instrument out of the room. That's when I notice the cut on her arm. "How did that happen?" I inquire. Her gaze follows suit with mine as she replies, "It's nothing, I wasn't being careful"

Yeah, right. It hardly looked like nothing but I'll let it slip. "Don't take too long, my parents are not very patient people" She rolls her eyes at me and I surprise myself when that does not evoke any kind of emotion within me. Maybe because I'm not the biggest fan of my parents either.

Doyle meets me outside the room, and the way his eyes dart around is his tell that something's wrong. "Sorry boss, we weren't expecting trouble in her own building"

" What are you talking about?"

"A man knocked on her door, tried to stab her but she managed to dodge it" He breaks the news to me and my immediate thought was how the fuck did they let this happen?

"And you're telling me this now? Where is he?" I bark. "He's dead, we shot him. And we found this in his pocket" He pulls out a crumpled picture of Elle. It's from before I brought her here, I can tell that since she basically hasn't left this place from then till today. And look what happened, the very next moment. Had I known this, I'd have kept her chained up here. I flip the picture and there's an address scribbled on the back. It was her address and I knew that because I myself have looked that up a couple of times.

"I hope you didn't let her see this" I run a hand through my hair.

"No but she did say she has never seen the man before" Somebody hired an assassin for her. I wondered if this is one of Malcom's enemies, the old man has managed to go incognito and he's doing it so well that no one can find him and now they're turning to his daughter. Just like we did, the only difference is they're actually going for the kill to draw him out.