SINFUL - 76

Ite cool,
lemme speak,
my Ghana girl peak,
but she never took me home cah I couldn't speak Twi.
Then I started seeing Delarosa,
said she's Portuguese but I know she's from Angola.
My Naija girl think I'm made out of mulla,
Bond Street shopping then it's Pecks for a suya.
But that's enough of dem,
I can't get enough of you,
ringing every day like a bug-a-boo.

Noelle rapped along, while Micah interjected with his own made-up adlibs, he had allowed Noelle to connect her phone to his car's media system. Being the music lover that she was, they bonded over their similar vast music taste. The journey home was longer than it should have been, the usual 25 minute drive had turned into 45 minutes due to the traffic leading up to the Rotherhithe tunnel. That and Micah had not been fully focused on following the route on the Waze app, making some incorrect turnings here and there. Noelle wondered if he was purposely delaying taking her home, she also wondered why he had chosen to take her to the Everyman Cinema in Canary Wharf of all places.

"No cap! You Naija girls yeah!" Micah sniggered in reference to the lyrics of the song, indicating to his right as his eyes quickly flashed in Noelle's direction.

"Oh my days, shut up about naij girls man!" Noelle retorted, the viciousness in her tone and the sternness of her expression could have sliced him. "You're talking like you Nigerians boys are not the ones who are very very mad."

"What you saying, you're putting me on yeah, my plug." Micah knew better than to pursue an argument with her on that subject, so he skilfully changed the topic of conversation.

"Told you from time, my playlists are elite." Noelle winked in his direction.

"Oh word?" Micah leaned away from her theatrically, steering the wheel in the process.

"Micah, you know this and that's why you let me connect my phone to the speakers." She stated matter-of-factly.

"Yeah, your playlist is alright still." He responded breezily.

"That's what I thought." Micah peered over to her, shaking his head as Noelle boastfully replied.

Noelle couldn't help but feel disappointed when she realised how close they were to her house. She had enjoyed her evening with Micah way more than she thought she would have. They remained in a comfortable silence for the remainder of the journey to Noelle's house, with the music blaring in their immediate surrounding. The vacant space that was closest to her house was close enough so that her walk home was only 30 seconds but not directly in front of her front door. As Micah parked his car beside the pavement, he was debating with himself as to whether or not he should risk trying to kiss Noelle. He knew Noelle liked to fight her true feelings and although she was attracted to Micah, she would happily reject him just for the fun of it.

"Thank you for tonight, it was a vibe." Micah licked his lips before glimpsing towards Noelle with his head tilted slightly.

"You know what, I love spending time with you." He confessed, his eyes deliberating darting towards her. Noelle remained poised, but the butterflies in her stomach proceeded to run rampant. "Real talk Noelle." Micah added, causing Noelle to grin coyly. She had always appreciated how brazen Micah was, he was like an open book which was so unlike her; it was refreshing. This time when their eyes crashed into one another, her heart plummeted to the pit of her stomach and Noelle was no longer sure if she was successfully concealing her nervousness. Infatuation was gradually blossoming within her, she couldn't just shrug it off, the feelings Micah was provoking in her were so passionate, it had to be more than lust. Her eyes swiftly fell away from his, the adoration Micah held in his eyes was too intense, suddenly sending jolts through Noelle. This boy. Another bashful smile escaped from Noelle's luscious lips. This boy is something else. One part of Noelle was telling her she was about to stumble into a danger zone and the other part of her not even caring. Just as Micah geared forward and gently captured her chin in his hand, Noelle froze. She felt her phone vibrate vigorously in the pocket of her plaid grey shacket; Noelle already knew it was her mum calling. She huffed inwardly, before briskly speaking. "I need to go." She had told her mum she'd be home by 10 and it was now almost quarter to midnight.