SINFUL - 52

"I'm home woman!" Micah's muscles felt heavy as he walked into his apartment, dumping his gym bag right beside the laundry room. The recently polished floorboards squeaked under his feet as he removed his trainers. During his drive home, Micah had already made plans to use some of his wife's Molton Brown products to have a long soak and coerce her into giving him a much needed massage. While he was still standing by the laundry room, he stripped himself down to his boxers and dropped all of his gym attire on top of the bag. He lay his keys and wallet on the glass table in the front room and held onto his iPhone. Micah then headed towards the kitchen where he had expected Noelle to be. He was surprised that he couldn't detect a delectable aroma from the dinner she was cooking like he usually did, and also by the fact that he was met with a deafening silence. Micah couldn't hear one of J Cole's mixtapes oozing through their home's surround sound system.

Something wasn't right.

Micah tentatively peered into the kitchen before realising that Noelle was not in there. The modern metallic interior of their kitchen appeared untouched and pristine, indicating to him that Noelle hadn't prepared any sort of cooked meal for him. He groaned inwardly, feeling puzzled, they hadn't agreed on getting a takeaway tonight. Noelle knew how much her husband loved his food, especially after an intense session at the gym Micah enjoyed nothing more than a hefty meal prepared by his wife. "Noelle!" Once again, he got no response. But he knew she was home as her car was parked outside and she would have informed him if she wasn't. He was somewhat perplexed as he ventured up the stairs and directly towards the master bedroom. There was very little light peeking into the room, and the actual light had not been switched on. He looked straight ahead and could see the silhouette of the large bouquet of roses he had bought Noelle some days before, perched on their window sill. Whilst he stood in the doorway, he reached out beside him and pressed the knob to lightened up the room as he could barely see anything.

Micah's brows creased as he noticed Noelle balled up in a fetal position on her side of their king sized bed. His eyes briefly darted around the dimly lit room, he sniffed in the faint familiar scent of vanilla from the candles Noelle loved. He felt his feet comfortably sink into the plush sheepskin rug which was positioned right beside their bed.

"Noelle?" He increased his pace as he approached her, growing worried her by unresponsiveness. "Babe...what's wrong?" Micah cast his eyes upon her rich mahogany skin, Noelle actively ignored him. He immediately tensed when he registered this, feeling his jaw tighten as his gaze rested on her. The light from her phone illuminated her face as she strolled through her emails, Micah's chest constricted when he realised she had been crying. It was never hard to tell when Noelle had been crying, her eyes were red and puffy and her top lip was slightly swollen; she had a habit of sucking hard on it when she cried. "Babe, why are you crying?" Micah attempted to compose himself, as the sight of her in this state triggered his youthful temper. His face softened as he took in the details of her stunning face, that was until he touched her and Noelle flinched. This immediately alarmed Micah.

"Don't. Touch. Me." Her voice was measured yet curt, he could see her stiffen as she reeled away from him. His eyes captured the glisten of her engagement ring and wedding band as she dragged her hands down her face and exhaled heavily. Noelle sat up slowly, adjusting the sheer brown wig cap that sat on top of her messy cainrows. Micah's mind raced as he tried to make sense of her body language, she was obviously angry about something, she was upset and she seemed exhausted by it all.

"I don't understand..." He muttered.

"You don't understand?" Noelle scoffed, her eyes shot towards Micah as she slid her phone unto her bedside table. The look in her eyes confirmed to Micah that he was in trouble. Her temper could be just as bad as his.