SINFUL - 72

Shaydun wrapped his long arms rigidly around Lola so that she could no longer move. Just moments before she had been in an furious frenzy, she wanted to break something, someone.

Lola was irate.

Irate that someone had seriously harmed Raheem and none of them had been there to stop them. Shaydun tried his best to hold her head to his chest, knowing Lola, it took all his strength to keep her in place. He didn't know what to say to her, Shaydun was still reeling himself. Not only had her birthday been ruined, but currently one of Lola's oldest friends was fighting for his life. He had struggled but he managed to force her into his car, ordering Cynthia and Penelope to stay inside with her while he and Lola's family spoke with the police.

The car was eerily silent, Cynthia was completely devastated but she knew she couldn't have been more shocked, overwhelmed and distressed than Lola was. Cynthia expected her to scream and shout and swear and kick her way out of the vehicle, but Lola couldn't even bring herself to look out of the car beyond the tinted windows.

Lola had her head in her hands, muffling her sobbing. It couldn't have been more uncomfortable, especially knowing how loud and outspoken Lola usually was. She was so distraught she would not speak or make eye contact with her friends. All Cynthia could do was hug her tightly as she cried, pray and speak positivity into the situation.

Cynthia's head snapped towards the window on her side when she heard light knocks against the glass. Noelle climbed into the car not too long after, concern etched on her face as she peered from Penelope, to Cynthia and then to Lola. She kissed Lola's forehead, tears brimming her own eyes as she pictured Raheem's bloody body on the concrete. Cynthia shuffled down a little, making more space for her. Noelle felt her heart pound as she squeezed along onto the backseat, knowing that at this point there was nothing any of them could do. Noelle had always been someone who expected the worse so that she was ready for anything that came her way, but this time she prayed for a different outcome, the worst outcome would shatter all her friends.

Cynthia felt an ounce of relief that Noelle had joined them, she felt too much pressure and slight anxiety having to console Lola. Noelle was much better at things like this, she always knew the right thing to say or not say. She zoned out as Noelle and Penelope uttered words of support and comfort to Lola. Cynthia's eyes rested beyond the window as she observed the police trying to interview anyone who was willing to speak to them, which was essentially no one. Besides, most people had been inside, at the party when everything had transpired. She very much doubted that anyone they knew had actually seen anything. She watched as three officers spoke with Shaydun, Guvna, Lola's mum and aunties and Tayo. Cynthia was dazed. Part of her wanting to leave the car to go and console Kobe but Lola needed her too. She couldn't decide who needed her more.

Where had he even been all this while? Was Raheem going to be ok? Would he die?

She felt sadness as she looked past the windows of Shaydun's Mercedes, attempting to spot Kobe again. She felt confusion when she remembered what she had seen. She felt sick because there was something that just didn't sit right with her. She had so many thoughts and queries troubling her. Cynthia felt nauseated. She was guilt stricken, as she had figured that somehow this was her fault.

Then her mind drifted to her sister. She wondered about Andrea, she hadn't seen her around. Cynthia wanted to see if she was ok but she couldn't bring herself to, as wicked and selfish as it sounded. She couldn't even muster the energy to comfort her.

Just like it had been in Shaydun's car, there was a suffocating silence suspended in the air as Kobe drove to the hospital with Micah, Preston and Wale in the car with him. All of whom had sobered up relatively quickly. Bianca had arrived with a neighbour shortly before the ambulance had and had travelled to the hospital with Raheem and the paramedics. Kobe had tried to neutralise his panic as he ensured those who were going home had a ride or had called their cabs, and those who were coming to the hospital also had a means of getting there safely. Due to this, it was a little while before he actually made his way to this hospital himself. In a reality, Kobe did not mind. It was a way for him to stall a little because he really didn't want to face Bianca.