CHAPTER 20

He let out a cry. Not a painful one but the kind which was filled with rage. He gave me a stare, his eyes blood shot. I could see blood trickling down his left eyebrow. He looked so... as if he'll kill me. I quickly ran to the door, adrenaline charging in my body. Bryce grabbed for my legs and I fell. I looked at him, his grasp tight on my ankle. His face red, he growled, 

"You think you'll escape that easily?" 

"Let go of my foot, you moron!" I gritted my teeth, aiming my other foot for his face. I kicked him smack on the face and he let go of my foot, his hands pressing on his face. I scrambled on my feet, rushing for the door again. Opening it, I looked at the empty hallway. This place was freaking abandoned. Which... is a good thing, you know? That means that if - no, i mean when - I get out of this hell-hole, no one will stop me. But then again, if  I do get captured again there will be no one to save me. Which will suck. 

I shrugged to myself. Might as well escape when there's a chance. I ran towards the emergency exit. pushing it open, I saw stairs. A lot of them. I started moving downwards, cautiously. I could here footsteps behind me. I ran, skipping one stair each time. 

whatever this hotel was... it was big and I'm sure Bryce kept me at the top floor. I ran, panting. it felt like an hour but I was stuck in the same spot. The lights kept on blinking but a ignored them even though my head kept on aching. My head was bursting. The sooner I reach ground level the-

Shit

He was staring at me with shock eyes. Yet he looked prepared. He had expected it. Funny, he was holding a glass of water. Mark. 

"What the-?" 

I interrupted him by pushing him sideways. He yelped but recovered quickly. Everything went in slow-motion as I tried to dodge him but came to no avail. He grabbed for my hair - sounds familiar? - and pulled me towards him. He grasped for my neck, wrapping his thick shoulder around it. I coughed and choked, desperately attempting for him to let go. Of course he wouldn't let me go. 

"Just where do you think you're going?" He snarled, his arm tightening around my neck. 

I spluttered, my blood chasing, " Let me go! I swear you'll regret it later! I swear!" 

"Kid," He began, fed up, "Shut up." 

I sucked in a deep breath, as he started dragging me upstairs to the room. I flustered, trying to save my energy for later. No point to try and get free when they won't let you. 

"Mark!" I stopped breathing when I heard his voice. I was hoping he was dead but  a blow on the face doesn't harm you that much. Casually, Bryce walked down to us, despite the cut on his eyebrow, he looked unaffected.

He glared at me, his face redder then before. 

"I'm done being Mr. Nice guy," He spat, then smirked towards me, "That had always been Lyod's job." 

I stared at him, with horror but did not speak. Clearly he had the upper hand. For now anyway. 

"Tie him up," He ordered Mark, "Throw him in the car trunk or whatever. We're leaving." 

Mark nodded, dragging me downstairs. 

"Wait! No!" I yelled, "You can't do that!" 

"Oh he can," Mark replied, "You just blew your chance kid."

"What chance?" I demanded, "What chance are you talking about!" 

"You blew it, that's all I'm talking bout." 

                                                                                              *****

Lyod's P.O.V

"Now listen to me," I told the other two walking behind, "We need to act completely normal here. Like... Just stupid. Our friend Jaden knows what we're talking about." 

Nickie sniggered as she saw Jaden scowled, "Whatever." He muttered. 

I stared down at his hand, he was still holding that inhaler, "Look kid," I said, "Better hide that thing of yours. They'll think it suspicious for an infected to care about asthma when they have the virus." 

Jaden shrugged, slipping it in his pant's pocket. I looked at both of them. The makeup looked good. Not exactly what I wanted but better then nothing. Anyone could think us as an infected but only if they look from afar. And we don't need to go that close to any of them. 

"Which city is this?" Nickie asked. It's about time one of them did. 

"New York." I muttered, "Obviously." 

"Whoa.." Jaden breathed, "Seriously? Like for real?" 

"Yes," I roll my eyes, 'Where do you think we're heading? 30 Rock Plaza." 

"Why there?" Jaden frowned. 

I stared at him, "Because I'm hungry and I feel like the Rainbow Room has good food to offer." 

Jaden opened his mouth, not getting my sarcasm, when Nickie said,

"He's kidding, Jaden. We're going there because that's probably where the infected live or something." 

She looked at me expectantly. I nod as an approval. 

"Why do they live there?" That kid just wouldn't shut up. 

"Why don't you ask them?" 

"Whatever." He kicked at the dust, annoyingly. 

"Why do you think this Martin guy has Harry?" Nickie pushed on. She was more curious then that other kid. 

"Because he's a complete bastard who wants to make everybody's life miserable." I stated, merely. Martin didn't know what he was messing with. 

I take a left, the kids following. I stopped, sinking the dead view of our destination before saying, 

"This is it. You two are to stay quiet no matter what. Copy?" 

They nod. We all knew our plan was stupid. But it was worth a shot. I hand an extra gun we found on the way in an ammunition  store to Nickie, who held it firmly in her hand. 

"As soon as we enter the building, you start firing from that building," I point at the closest one's roof, "They won't find you there. In the mean time, me and Mr. smart guy here will look for Harry. When hearing the noise, those idiots are bound to freak out. They'll think its the army, coming after them and they'll run away (I hope). But keep firing after long pauses so -" 

"You won't run out of bullets and by that time we'll be in the Rainbow Room where Martin is and beat him up. There will be Harry all grateful and all, probably worship Lyod or something and then everyone's living happily ever after." Jaden interrupted, his words dripping in sarcasm, "Chill, man. We know what we're doing." 

I frown at him, "If that's so, then come on ." 

Jaden scoffed, running towards the building, calling, "I already am, genius."