CHAPTER 11

No sign of anyone except for us three.  The halls. Every single hall looked so... haunting. Dark, lonely, empty... scary. Everything around us.. not what I had in mind. Why was there no guard? No watcher? Or cameras? Why were we walking so typically in this black misery? I had my hands out, like a blind person, while the other two walked as if they had done this a billions of times. 

"Why are the lights off?" Even when this was to our advantage, I still couldn't help asking. 

Jaden chuckled, "What, you afraid of the dark, little baby?"

His voice echoed, in the dark halls. 

"I just-" 

"Relax, dude," Jaden assured, "Nickie and I've done this a thousands of times. I doubt we'll get caught tonight." He gave a pause before saying, "Unless, of course, you're bad luck."

I rolled my eyes, even though they couldn't see me.

"Let's just get this over with." 

"And we would if you two stop talking and start concentrating on where we're going." Nickie snapped, right ahead of us. 

She seemed so determined to get that boo- no, not the book. It's a folder. With a map. I adjusted the empty duffel bag on my shoulders, the straps old and itchy. I coughed into my fists only to get 'shushed' by Nickie. Jaden bite back a laugh when Nickie glared at him. 

"Can you guys seriously shut up!" Nickie hissed, "You two goofing around will be the only reason we'll get caught!" She tried her best to maintain her composure until Jaden started mimicking her and I grinned.

"You two are so gonna pay when we get this done." Nickie muttered under her breath, which only made my grin go wider. 

Barely a minute had passed when we stopped. We were standing right in front of Alex's office and I pang of guilt hit me so hard that I wanted to go back to my room and lock it. Forget this night. But I knew that wasn't possible. Jaden was in a good mood, that didn't mean he'll remain in this mood when I tell them I want out. So, I swallowed my urge inside me, not telling anyone about it. Did Alex even deserve what we're about to do? That question will be answered. I hope. 

With all my thoughts revolving around me, I didn't realize that they had already opened the door and were inside, looking at me to do the same. Um.... Should I?

"Well?" Nickie tapped her foot, impatiently. I noticed Jaden already going through the drawers. 

I sighed, giving a sheepish smile, walking inside, Nickie, closing the door behind me. As if it was a reflex action, I turned on the lights. I blinked hard, trying to adjust with the beaming light, especially since we were walking in darkness a minute ago. 

"Come on." Jaden said, flipping through Alex's private files. "It's gotta be here. so, start looking."

I mean, I had nothing better to do, so, I started opening up cabinets. 

"What's the point of this?" I muttered, "What if it's not here?" 

Nickie looked up from where she was searching and said, "This is Alex we're talking about. She's bound to keep it here." 

I shrugged in response. I heard a thud and turned to Jaden. 

"What are you doing!" I exclaimed, "If you keep on throwing things on the floor, she's obviously going to find out." 

Jaden smiled, "Nah. She won't." How was he so sure? 

I sat on the floor, "Why are we doing this? How do you know that Alex was the one to have wrecked my room and stolen your map? It could have been anyone! And also, she's the head of this building! How can-?"