CHAPTER 17

I watched Lyod walk ahead of us in the orange yet hazy, smoky sunset. Jaden limping behind, wearily.  He was coughing and swearing under his breath. I slow my pace to walk next him, couldn't help but feeling sorry for him. He clutched the inhaler tightly in his palms, Staring at the cracks in the sidewalk as we walked. Nickie hadn't said anything to anyone, shaken by the trauma. 

"What do you want?" He snapped, giving me a death stare. 

"Nothing," I shrugged, "Just wanted to check if you're okay, that's all." 

He scoffed, "Well, I'm not okay." He didn't say anything after that, like he had already said enough. 

I sighed, We'd been walking without anymore breaks after the pharmacy. So that meant we were tired the hell out but Lyod wouldn't let us stop. Not even for five minutes. He said the sooner we were out of here, the better. We were far off the area where we saw... those people. But one can't be cautious enough, I guess.

"Look," I said, "Once everything gets normal, we'd get you-" 

"Normal ?" Jaden scoffed, "What are you talking about? Do you seriously believe that we'll get out of this alive? Cause I'm kinda having second thoughts." 

"You know things will get normal." I frowned, "Not for the world, but for us. Things will be better for us."

"Tell me, Harry: You really want to live in a world where only you get the advantages?" Jaden glared, his eyes bloodshot, "Do you?" 

I stared at the ground, I didn't know what to say. Maybe I did want to have some advantages. Not all of them but some. I'm not that selfish. But I mean it's not my fault everything ended up like this. I'm not selfish to think about a happy life, which I bet everyone would think. 

"Like I thought." Jaden sneered, "You'd throw everyone behind yourself just to be the first." 

I gritted my teeth, my fists clench, "What's up with you, huh? 6 hours ago you were the one to tell me that we should totally do this, in case you forgot?" 

He raged, "Oh yeah? Guess what? Now I changed my mind because if I keep this up, keep running, then no doubt I'll die." 

I rolled my eyes, "You're exaggerating." 

I went too far. I knew that when Jaden's fist met my cheek. I stumbled back and fell hard on the ground. Nickie turned back, gasping as she rushed to help me on my feet. I waved my hand at her, refusing her help. Rubbing my cheek, I knew I had a cut on my lips. I tasted copper in my mouth. It had to be a gnash. Wiping the blood with my sleeve I got up. Lyod was staring at us blankly, not bothering to do anything. Just stand there like a statue like he always does. I touched the cut with my fingers and winced. It hurt. A little. Jaden had no right to hit me like that!

"I think you're just exaggerating!" Jaden sniggered, mocking my words, "It's just a little cut."

"Jaden!" Nickie stared at him. 

"He deserved it!" Jaden muttered, pointing at me with disgust, "When I answered your question Harry, you should have shut up and left instead of speaking hell!" 

"He was just trying to lighten the mood, Jaden!" Nickie defended. 

"No offense, cuz, but tell your pal here to keep his mood and opinions to himself ! I don't want to be consoled. Especially not by him." Jaden barked. Then, started walking. 

Lyod nodded at us and then did the same. Groaning we followed. 

"Sorry about that." Nickie said, "Jaden doesn't-"