CHAPTER 14

The room was quiet . Nickie sat beside me but no words were shared. I didn't have the heart to. We both were silent. Nickie focused on the fireplace while I nervously fidgeted my hands on my lap. I didn't want to argue with her. I'd hate to. But whatever she said, made me feel... disappointed. I didn't expect her to do that. She didn't look like the type to 'think'. 

So we were sitting. Waiting for the other to speak first. None of us did. The one who did speak up was someone who wasn't even in the room. Jaden. He entered with wet hair and a damp towel hung around his neck. 

"Man," He muttered, plopping his body on the chair in which Lyod had been sitting a few minutes ago, "That was the worst bath I ever had. The water was way colder then I had expected." 

Unlike us two, Jaden was cool. He was cool when I told him about Lyod and what he did. He was cool with the fact that he had been injected with this heavy drug. He didn't mind. 

Now looking at us, wiping his face when the drops of water trickled from his hair to his face. 

"Umm... What happened?" He asked. "You two okay?" 

I was about to say, yes, everything was fine but Nickie was just an honest person. 

"No," She snapped, glaring at me, which I tended to ignore, "Tell this tough guy that he's not the boss around here. That he can't make decisions without asking us! We're not his minions. We're in this as much as he is! You tell him that Jaden." 

Jaden's eyes widened with interest as he grinned, "I always liked drama. But no need to tell Harry that Nickie. I bet he heard it, didn't you dude?"

I rolled my eyes, "Obviously I heard that. But tell her this Jaden. Why would anyone want to go somewhere I've never hard of? Are we that pathetic for help? That desperate? I was just trying to be helpful. Cautious! I don't trust this Lyod." atleast not anymore.

If only Jaden had some popcorn, that would have matched his expression. Perfectly. 

"I was thinking," Jaden muttered, "What kind of name is 'Lyod'? I mean, I've heard of Lloyd and Lyon but never Lyod. You know what I mean?" 

We both ignored him. That was the least of our problems.

"No need to tell him to tell me!" Nickie snapped, "I heard it well enough!"

"Well, weren't you doing the exact same thing?" I shot back. 

"Well atleast i wouldn't let my anger make decisions!" She screamed. 

I huffed, folding my arms tightly across my chest, "Atleast your father didn't die! I've got no one Nickie! Pathetically I had tried to escape but what did I get? A wound on the head, bunch of letters that Alex had hidden from me and also, a dead father!" 

 Jaden didn't say anything, he seemed shock with my attitude. Nickie looked at me with contempt, My stare as equal as hers. 

"You'll have a wonderful life, I'm sure. With your families. And me? In the end, I'll probably end up in an orphanage, worse then MEFY..." 

Nickie stood up, her fists clenched. I actually expected her to slap me or something but if that was the case then she controlled her anger, storming off from the room. 

Jaden's face had changed into something I had never seen: Sorrow. It scared me. His expression really scared me. 

"You don't understand." Jaden spoke, his body trembling, looking down at his feet "Nickie's parents. Harry, she doesn't have any parents. They had an accident. She was only four. Since then, she lived with me, my parents. They got infected by the stupid virus. Died. Next thing we know, we're dragged to MEFY. Twelve years, she had forgotten her parents." His eyes rose at me, "Until you Harry Skale, made her remember again." 

He stood up. I looked at him guiltily, "I... I didn't know. I'm.. I'm.." 

Jaden laughed, but it came out weak, "Don't be. I took it well." Motioning outside the room, he muttered, "She didn't. It happened twice with her. No one would have been as strong as her." 

Smacking me on the head, He grinned, the sad tension gone as suddenly as it came, "But go ahead and apologize to her. You don't want to be on her bad side man." 

I smiled, "I'll do that, don't worry."

Knocking on the door, I entered. She was sitting on a bed, wiping her tears quickly she said, 

"Ever heard of asking permission?" 

I grinned, "If i would have asked then you'd never let me enter." 

"Obviously." She muttered. 

I sat next to her. She didn't get up, just flinched. 

I sighed, nervously scratching the back of my neck, "Listen, Nickie. I'm-"

"Sorry?" she finished. 

"That's it." I smiled, excitedly, "so you accept it?" 

There was a long pause and I thought Nickie wasn't ready to forgive. I thought about leaving but just as i did, she said.

"I would," Her eyes sparkled with mischief, "But I won't let you go that easy." 

I knew what she wanted. I didn't argue, "Fine. Go ahead and tell Lyod, we're in."  

She smirked, "That's more I like it."

"As long as you forgive me." I said. "One more thing though."

"What?" 

"Don't go too near that guy. I don't trust him that much." 

"Fine."

We stayed silent for a little more, when she said, "I'm sorry about your father." 

"Yeah." That's all I could say. 

"Lyod's deal isn't bad, Harry." She started, "I mean think about it. We don't have anyone except for each other. Where do you think we'll go if we don't go with Lyod?"

"You got a point. I was just angry and didn't feel like thinking." I shrugged. 

She smiled, reaching for my hand, she squeezed it briefly before letting go as if it never happened. I blushed, but shook my head. I only liked Nickie sometimes. And I can't have a crush when the world's almost destroyed and wrecked. So we both let the moment go. We didn't have a choice anyway because Jaden barged in the room. 

"All set?" He asked, grinning. 

We both nodded. 

"And...?" 

"And tomorrow we're gonna tell Lyod we're in." I said. 

"Good." Jaden clapped his hand together, "I feel like I can use a little adventure."

"We all do." Nickie laughed. 

I didn't say anything. I was excited, yes, but scared as well. These are my only friends. My family. I wouldn't want them in any kind of danger. And something about Lyod... I just can't trust him. Can't.