The Leader (One-Shot)

Nico looked up when he heard the sound of his cabin door being knocked on. It's constant (but rather rythmic) raps made him slightly irritated. He usually didn't let things like this bother him, though it was hard for him not to get annoyed. Slowly, he got up from his seat and approached the doorway. Outside, Percy had his fist up halfway towards the door, presumably to knock again.

"What?" Nico asked curtly. He hadn't seen Percy since his little confession and he was trying hard to hide how awkward he felt. But like he said at that moment, that was to clear the air so now, it shouldn't have really bothered him.

"Can I come in? I need to talk to you."

Nico raised an eyebrow. He nodded once and went back in, Percy following behind him.

Percy stood by Nico's bunk, leaning on the grip of his sword, pushing the tip into the floor.

Nico sat back on his chair. Before interrupted by Percy, he was listing down all the changes he was going to make to the Hades cabin prior to renovating it. Taking his pencil, he resumed.

"So what exactly do you want from me Jackson?"

"Commitment."

Nico dropped his pencil and fell from his chair. He hit his head on the floor, groaned and blinked a few times. Percy sprang up with a concerned look on his face. He helped Nico up and sat him down on his bed. Nico, his brain still in a mush, kept a poker face on. "My what? My commitment?" His face reddened. So he looked like... a red-faced Baymax. But skinnier.

Percy looked nonchalant. "Yeah, commitment."

"My commitment for what?" Nico felt nervous suddenly.

"You want to know? You REALLY want to know?" Percy said, widening his eyes and smiling really big.

"Uh..."

"Dude, you're going to be the next leader of camp!" Percy shook Nico's shoulders.

"Don't touch me." Nico mumbled.

"Demigod leader, that is! I am giving up my post for YOU, buddy! And I need your commitment."

"What? Leader?Why me? Don't you like being one? You know, doing Percy stuff to other demigods? And why can't you continue being one?" Nico was shocked. Percy Jackson was offering his spot to someone like him? Him, who could only make people either really scared or really uncomfortable?

"I'm continuing my studies, little man! Get an educational lifestyle, get a job, live with Annabeth in New Rome. I can't be one forever." he smiled sadly.

"I'm only 14." Nico said.

"But you're coming to 15. And that's the age I became an official camp leader. 16 was when I became an official official camp leader. Training was at 14! Sort of." Percy stuck his pointing finger in the air with a leader look. "But that does not matter. Besides, I've talked to Chiron and Dionysus. He says it's fine."

"Aren't Chiron and Dionysus the camp leaders?"

"Camp directors, you mean." Percy corrected him. "Chiron is the activities director, but he acts like he is also the camp director. Dionysus is the camp leader but he acts like a lazy bum who does nothing really unless necessary. "And since I got the green light from Chiron and Dionysus..."

"I have to be one anyway." Nico continued gloomily. He didn't understand why he was being so reluctant. If anything, he should have been happy. Then again, he was Nico di Angelo. Happy wasn't really his thing. "But-"

"Nico, Nico. All you have to say is 'yes' and everything will be okay! Stop evading and avoiding." Percy put on his cool guy look and leaned further into his hilt sword, a hopeful gleam in his eyes.

Nico pondered. So many questions were racing through his head. Would he be a good leader? Would anyone listen to him? Would anyone even like him?

"I know what's going on in that head of yours. You'll do fine Nico, I promise." Percy said reassuringly.

"I'll... I'll think about it." Nico continued everything he was doing before Percy showed up. "You can leave now."

"Hmm... 'I'll think about it.' isn't good enough for me Nico. I need a 'Yes! I'll do it!' from you. I won't leave until you say that."

"I'll think about it." Nico tried to make it clear. He was annoyed with Percy's persistence.

"No, I want a yes."

Nico remained silent.

"Come on, Nico." Percy urged. "Just say yes."

Nico felt dizzy. He was so unsure of what to do. He needed more time.

"You can do it."

He wanted to.

"You're close!"

He didn't want to.

"You're almost there!"

But he knew, he had to.

"You can-"

"I'll do it."

Percy stopped his urging and cheered. "That's it Nico! You're going to be a great leader, I know it. I gotta tell everyone! See you!"

Before he could respond, Riptide had already turned back into a ballpoint pen and Percy was racing out the door. And he was gone. Just like that, after Nico had agreed, he left. No discussion or anything.

Nico shook his head and smiled a little. Maybe being a leader wouldn't be that bad. Maybe he would like it, who knows. But in the meantime, back to the list of renovations.