Chapter 28: That day

It was a quiet day inside Kathryn and Miles' house. Miles knew it was that day so she had her boundaries. Kathryn on the other hand was packing her bag. Going back and forth from her cabinet to her suitcase.

"Hey, are you sure you don't want me to come with you?" Miles asked, peeking in her bed room. Kathryn lifted her head, her eyes watering and her lips subconsciously turning into a pout.

"Is it possible to reschedule your cake testing with Marco?" She said almost in a whisper as she tried to choke up on her tears.

Miles smiled, walking to Kathryn and holding her hand. She pulled Kathryn to the bed and engulfed her in a hug.

"Of course. I'll ask Marco to reschedule okay?" Kathryn nodded, as she started whimpering. She wasn't ugly crying, she was just sad and sobbing. She continued to sob like a kid, her hands on top of her lap. She didn't bother wiping her tears. "I'll pack your stuff for you." Miles said, walking to Kathryn's cabinet and gathering some more clothes. "How long do you plan on staying there?" She asked.

"I don't know." Kathryn shrugged. Miles sighed, getting 5 more shirts and shoving it in the suitcase. Kathryn packed for a month long trip but they both knew Kathryn would probably leave after a week or less.

"Do you want me to call DJ?" Miles asked her again, unplugging Kathryn's phone and unlocking her phone.

"I don't know." She replied again, wiping her nose. "Have you packed?"

"Yeah." Miles nodded. "I knew I was going to come with you. I wouldn't let you go through this alone. It's kind of like an annual thing, isn't it?" Miles asked, dragging Kathryn's suitcase to their main door. Kathryn slowly walked down the stairs sitting on the third to the last as she played with her phone. Miles came back from the living room with her keys and her suitcase. "You have two options. Do you want to drive or do you want to fly?" Miles asked, not bothering to look up.

Kathryn pulled her handbag and took 2 papers from it and handed it to Miles.

"Well, aren't you prepared?" Miles chuckled. "Come on." She heard to the door and locked the door behind her. "We're using my car to the airport okay?"

Kathryn gave her a meek nod. It was the day. Her dad's death anniversary. Every year she would go back to Nueva Ecija to be with her mom and her siblings. Her siblings would fly out there too. They would have a meal and talk. It was more of like a reunion that has hysterical crying before the day ends. It was usually Kathryn's mom. She would talk about her husband with so much passion and the next thing they all know is that she's crying. Of course, her two older sisters would cry with her. Sometimes, her brother Kevin would join the group hug and share a tear or two. Lhexine would keep her entertained. Out of everyone, she was the one who actually saw the good in her father's death. She would often say that at least her grandpa is singing with the angels and she would carry on singing his favorite song. Perhaps, it was because she joined show business or it's just how she is. She had the thickest skin amongst all of them. She wouldn't dare to cry in front of anyone. She always did this. Cry as she flew there and then stay strong as soon as she sees her family. Miles was always there for support. But there's only so much she can't do. She can't bring back Kathryn's dad from the dead.

Miles turned on her engine, and connected the Bluetooth of the car to her phone. She backed up her car and the her phone started ringing.

"Hello?" Miles asked, turning up the volume of the car so she can hear DJ properly. Kathryn proceeded to fixing the Bluetooth on Miles' visor so DJ can hear her properly as well.

"Hey." DJ's voice sounded tired and panicky. But mostly, tired. "Kathryn's not picking up. Is she okay?" He asked.

A smile crept on Kathryn's face but Miles' knew she wasn't in the mood to talk to DJ. Heck, she wasn't I the mood to talk to anyone.