Chapter 31: Cloud

Chapter 31: Cloud

It was one of those days where DJ was in a good mood yet he was feeling pretty queasy. His office door was open because his air conditioning needed fixing. He was surprised to find out that his employees liked listening to the radio together and that was what's happening. Music was blaring through the PA system and he was actually enjoying it. His good mood also might have been because Kathryn and Julian's suit shopping got cancelled because Kathryn had to fly to Cebu for an important meeting. On usual days, he would've freaked out that Kathryn is flying out without warning but he understood the nature of her work and he'd take that rather than her and Julian suit shopping alone.

"Is this a new song?" He asked one of his secretaries when an unfamiliar strum of guitar was being played on the radio.

"Sort of, Captain. It was released last week by a new artist. But the intro isn't usually that long, she's playing it live."

"Oh, cool. What's it called?" He asked, pushing himself away from the computer and focusing on the music.

"Shine a light by Cloud Poynter."

For a moment, DJ thought he stopped breathing. He swore his heart skipped a beat.

Cloud Poynter.

A year ago. (lower case intended)

he met cloud during one of his day-offs. he was visiting different cafes every weekend because believe it or not, dj actually thought of buying a coffee franchise. he just didn't know which coffee shop yet. he hasn't found the right one. it was captain, yes his day off was a tuesday, he was walking along intramuros, hair slicked back, his ipad in one hand and his other hand was slipped in his pocket. cloud was stood in front of what seemed like a new café. her guitar case was on the ground so dj assumed she was one of those café singers. her phone was pressed against her ear and a pencil was in between her lips, she looked excited and nervous and slightly annoyed. dj decided to approach her and ask about the café, who knows? she might be a regular singer in there.

"hi." he said smiling. cloud gave him a nod and a little smile and looked away from him. "i'm dj." nowadays, dj was very comfortable introducing himself as dj and not daniel.

"cool, nice to meet you dj." cloud mumbled, removing the pencil in between her lips and playing with it. "cloud" she smiles.

"what do you know about this café?" dj asked, crossing his arms and standing next to cloud. "do you sing here?"

cloud chuckled and pointed to the big sign on the roof of the café. it says, "cloud's café." dj pursed his lips to a thin line.

"i'm sorry?" he laughed at himself.

"this café is opening tomorrow. it's always been my dream you know? to have something to call my own and now here it is!" she gushed, actually letting out some emotions.

"congratulations then. i'll be sure to visit." he winked.

"you can come tomorrow during the ribbon cutting. you a fan of coffee?"

"big one."

"cool then i can let you be the first one to taste every single coffee in my shop possible."

dj raised an eyebrow, "i might palpitate."

"not my problem."

he scoffed. is his charms not working with cloud? wait, is he actually trying to charm cloud?

"and besides, you can always say no." cloud shrugged, picking up her guitar case. "i'll see you tomorrow then." she said, leaving dj to stare at the coffee shop and the space next to him in awe.