Chapter 15: Hospitals

Nothing is worse than getting stuck in traffic in a middle of a fight with your girlfriend or boyfriend. DJ tapped his fingers on the steering wheel as he waited for the red light to turn green. Kathryn clutched her bag tighter, trying not to shout at DJ. They've been bickering for the past 25 minutes since DJ switched to the driver's seat. They were wrapped in a very awkward atmosphere after Kathryn complained about the radio. When the stoplight turned green, Kathryn's phone suddenly rang.

"Hello?"  She greeted, trying not to sound annoyed with the world. "Yes, this is she." She replied sternly, zipping and unzipping her bag but all of a sudden stopped. "What?" Her face was indescribable now and every now and then, DJ would glance at her. Even though they were fighting, of course, he still cared. Kathryn clutched her bag tighter, listening intently to the other person on the other line. "I'll be there as soon as I can. Thank you." And then she hung up, sighing and putting her phone back in her bag. She looked at DJ, putting a tough look on her face before talking. "Turn right and go to Martin Avenue."

DJ scrunched his eyebrows and shook his head. "Whatever that is can wait. We're going home and sorting this out." He replied, getting annoyed again. He knew Kathryn was going to say something irritating but she didn't. She shrugged and tapped her fingers on her lap. A few minutes later, they pulled over in Kathryn's driveway. She immediately got out of the car, opened her apartment door, and took another key. Before DJ knew it, Kathryn was getting in her other car. DJ then, locked Kathryn's front door and ran to the passenger seat. "Get out, we're talking inside." But it was too late. Kathryn had already ignited her car so he had no choice but to get in as well. Huffing every now and then.

Kathryn drove like a mad man. Her anxiety was visible on her face and she honked like it was her last time driving. Her supposedly 10 minute drive, became a 6. She pulled over an unknown parking lot, and ran inside a room. DJ was so annoyed, he didn't even bother getting out and following her. He just stayed in the car and waited for her to come back. He wanted to shout and punch something but he figured that he was too old for that. So, he waited.

10 minutes later, Kathryn was back with a huge thing with her. He was confused for a moment because it was dark but later on realized that Kathryn was carrying a person. He got out of the car and ran towards her. He took a good look of the person's face and realized that it was Kathryn's 10-year-old niece, Lhexine.

"What happened?" He asked, carrying Lhexine to the car.

"Get in the car, please." Was all she said. She sat in the driver's seat and drove in the same speed. DJ was busy checking Lhexine's pulse and face. They parked in front of a hospital but instead of getting out frantically, like DJ had anticipated, Kathryn looked at the hospital and sighed. Like it was so hard for her to get in the hospital. But as usual, she put on a brave face and got out of the car.

"Lhexine Alcantara. I'm her aunt." Kathryn said in a rush, as DJ placed Lhexine on a stretcher. The nurse looked at Kathryn like she was crazy for not giving any more information. "Kathryn Bernardo." Was all she had to say to make the nurse work double time on the Lhexine's paper. Lhexine was rushed in the E.R and Kathryn didn't even flinch or cry. For some reason, it worried DJ. When the doors closed, she sat down. DJ copying her actions.

"Kathryn, I know this isn't a good time but—" DJ started. Kathryn raised both her hands up in the air, making him stop.

"For fuck's sake DJ. I know, it's my fault okay? And I should have fucking told you that I've been in rehab and shit but this isn't the right time okay? We're in a fucking hospital and I'm fucking anxious and you're here trying too-" She was going to cry. She was shaking and she didn't even notice it. Her brave face was starting to deteriorate. Her hands were balled into fists. It looked like anytime she was going to explode. DJ didn't know what to do so he did what he did best; kiss her. She immediately melted into his touch and kissed him back but a few minutes later, she was sobbing.

"You're going to be fine. Lhexine is going to be fine. We're going to be fine." DJ whispered into her ear.

"I hate this place so much." She replied as she sobbed on his chest. "Papa was here a few years back." That was it. Kathryn hated hospitals because of only one thing. When she got out of rehab, her dad was getting weaker. And she put half of her attention in her business and half on her father. She was in and out of the hospital and it was as if she lived there. It was as if it was the new Bernardo residence. She hated the smell, she hated the people. She hated hospitals. It reminded her of grief and sadness and death. Just a few things she hated. She hadn't been back in a hospital after her father was announced death, one evening. She was in a meeting. She just finished her shift with her dad, when her sister called, telling her the sad news that their dad had died of Cardiac arrest and she wasn't even there to say goodbye.

But Kathryn didn't have to explain those things to DJ. He understood. So, he cradled Kathryn until she calmed down and felt better. Just in time for her to hear what the doctor had to say about her niece. Both of them stood up, Kathryn squeezing DJ's hand too tight but he didn't flinch.

"She's fine and you can see her now. She was probably in a closed placed that's why she collapsed but she's all good, Miss Bernardo." The doctor smiled, patted her shoulder and pointed to the room where Lhexine was staying. "She's going to be asleep for the next couple of hours so don't bother trying to wake her up."

DJ and Kathryn walked to the room. The white walls were blinding for Kathryn but everything seemed better with DJ by her side.

"Do you want to stay here? I can call Lhexine's parents." DJ offered.

"We'll call them tomorrow. They're both out of town." She replied, slouching on the couch and as usual, DJ copying her actions. "I'm sorry our date night was ruined." She whispered, placing her head in between DJ's head and shoulder.

"We can always have another date time sometime soon." He kissed the top of her had and intertwined their fingers together. "I'm sorry."

"Bub, I'm the one who should be sorry."

DJ looked at her and grinned.

"You called me bub."

Kathryn looked at him too, tapping his nose lightly before kissing his chin.

"You're a loser." She joked, going back to her position which was properly slouched and her head was on DJ's neck. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you about rehab. I should have but I've kept it 6ft under that I really didn't want to remember it anymore."

"I understand."

"I know you do, bub. But I just don't want you to think I'm keeping big things from you. I mean, I know rehab is a big part of my life but—"

"I know, bubba. I know."

Kathryn sat up and faced DJ, still holding his hand.

"We're new in this thing and like, not new-new but like starting over and it's been 10 years and I'm just trying to get it right and—" Before she could finish, DJ was kissing her. Not like the peck kiss that made her shut up a while ago, but the kind of kiss where feelings are involved. She felt loved, forgiveness and well, just lots of love. He cupped her cheeks and kissed her harder. Kathryn was laying on the couch and DJ was hovering over her, kissing her lips, her cheeks and just everything PG. "We're a mess. Just a few hours ago, I wanted to snap your neck. And now we're this." She chuckled.

"That's what makes us KathNiel, bub." DJ reminded her, kissing her again.