Chapter 49: Petty Arguments and Work

The first five months of being a parent was exhausting. Nobody ever tells you that it's I want to tear my hair out kind of exhaustion. It was a surprise and it takes a lot of getting used to. Kathryn was on maternity leave for a whole year and DJ, well DJ had to go back to work on the third month. The couple has talked about it and they agreed that DJ can go back to work. Miles always swings by the Padilla residence to help take care of little Aisha. Sometimes Karla would borrow her grandchild or Min would fly to Manila to offer a lending hand to the new parents.

Kathryn didn't suffer from any post-partum depression. It was one of her major concerns after having Aisha. But that baby was just amazing; she made her feel loved and wanted. Although, Aisha sometimes made her emotional, she was happy.

When Aisha started crawling at seven months, DJ caught it on camera and the parents started crying. They realized that their whole lives are going to be all about Aisha; teaching her how to walk, how to talk, how to write... All these things. They would be the first ones to see as she does her firsts and once Aisha started crawling, all of these thoughts stayed in their minds. DJ and Kathryn shared a look, a look that says that they're in this together.

At nine months, Aisha started to babble and pointing at things. They were able to communicate with her by asking basic questions. What toy she wanted to play with or which fruit she wants to throw across the table. She would babble, attempting to make a conversation with her parents.

Aisha said her first word at ten months. It was seven in the morning and Kathryn was preparing breakfast for her husband. Aisha was sat on her high chair hitting the table with her tiny little fists. DJ was going in and out of the kitchen as he brewed his coffee and fixed his attire.

"Ma-ma!" The little voice said. DJ stopped walking and Kathryn turned around from the counter. Aisha was looking at her mom, waving her tiny hands at her. "Ma-ma!" She repeated. DJ looked at Kathryn and Kathryn's eyes were welling up with tears. She walked to Aisha and showered her with kisses.

"She said mama, honey!" Kathryn shrieked. DJ chuckled, pulling her close to him and kissing her forehead. "Can you say it again for mom, baby?"

"Ma-ma!"

The couple cheered. It was a memorable day.

On her first birthday, Aisha spoilt rotten. She had a Disney themed birthday party and even though she probably didn't understand whatever was happening, she seemed excited about the presents and the attention. Kathryn was running around the house, preparing food and making sure everyone was entertained. DJ and Kathryn decided it would be less hassling if they had Aisha's first birthday at home. DJ was recording everything. He had is iPhone out and his DSLR too. He was the leading the Happy Birthday song as Aisha sat on his lap and he excitedly blew the candle with Kathryn. Finally, they got through a year. The most tiring and exhausting year they have ever had despite being the biggest businessmen in the outside world but the most worth it. Aisha's giggles and laughter made it all worth it.

Kathryn's maternity leave was over a month after Aisha's birthday but DJ forgot. So, she woke up early thinking that she would pump milk. But DJ had already told her that they'd stop breastfeeding Aisha after her first birthday.

"I know it's hard but we're going to have to get through it." DJ said when Kathryn argued she still wanted to breastfeed. When Aisha started drinking from a bottle, it has given her and her dad more bonding time since he's can now put her to bed at night.

Kathryn showered and got dressed. She bought a treadmill a couple of months back and once she was fully healed she started jogging once she had the time. She started running on the treadmill and doing home workouts when Aisha was asleep so she was back in shape. DJ woke up to the sound of the blower. Kathryn sat in front of her dresser, blow drying her hair. She stopped when her door opened. The door was slightly opened already because she got out to check on her daughter after her shower. Aisha was already awake so she spent five minutes playing with her before putting her down to the floor letter stickers. That will probably give her ten minutes tops of freedom to fix herself before Aisha starts needing something. She was right. Aisha pushed their slightly opened door and started crawling to her dad who was now sat on the edge of the bed. She was only starting to learn how to walk and isn't confident enough to do it by herself. DJ picked up his daughter, blowing raspberries on her neck and smiling as she giggled.