Chapter 26: Stupid

Chapter 26: Stupid 

There's a reason for everything. And when I say everything, literally everything. You may hate the reason, but it's still a reason. You might not actually understand the reason but it's still a reason. However, the situation Kathryn is in right now is categorized with the latter one. There's a reason why people are reminded to not drink and drive. And even though, she wasn't that intoxicated, she was still under the influence. So, as she backed up her car to go home from Karla's engagement party, she hit a lamp post and got stuck in the bushes and now she's contemplating on whether to get out and fix it or wait until the sun rises. She chose the first one. She was going to meet DJ at her house tonight, they were going to have a night out part 2 with Miles and Marco but here she was, stuck. A car honked at her and another and another so she was forced to get out of her car and check the damage. There wasn't much. Just a scratch. With a sigh, she accelerated her car and drove home. 

She pulled up her driveway and sat there for about 10 minutes before she started crying. Now that the adrenaline had worn off her body, she had finally come to realize why people didn't drink and drive. She got scared and also felt a bit stupid. If her dad found out about this, she'd get in so much trouble. She got out of her car, sobbing and unlocked her door. DJ was waiting for her in the dining table.  

"Hey, what took you-- hey." DJ was only wearing a shirt and his slacks. His coat hung on his chair. Kathryn walked up DJ and put her face on his chest. "Hey, why are you crying? What's up?" He said, hugging her tighter. He adjusted his seat, and pulled up an emotional Kathryn to his lap.  

"I scratched my car." She said and then she went on full-detail on what happened. DJ laughed. Really, really laughed causing Kathryn to hit him on the cheek. "What's so funny?" She asked, trying to wriggle out of his grasp. 

"Stop crying." DJ said, wiping the smudged mascara on her face. 

"I got so scared and you weren't there and--" 

"Okay-okay. Sssh, shh." He cooed, wiping the tears that were still continuously falling on her cheeks. "You're okay." 

"But what if I got into a worse situation and you weren't there and..." 

"That's why you don't drink and drive, Kath." 

"Why did you let me?!" Kathryn hit him in the chest, still crying. 

"I didn't. You left when you told me to wait so I followed you to your house but turns out, you hit a lamp post and got stuck in bushes." He said, laughing. 

"DJ, it's not funny." 

DJ pulled her into a hug and pressed kisses on her shoulder. He lifted her head and wiped the tears for the nth time. 

"You're okay. Do you have any idea how many times I've scratched my car? Do you have any idea how many times JC scratched his? Don't even get me started with Magui. And I don't think I can deal with Lelay anymore when she starts driving. You're okay, everybody scratches their car." DJ had both of his hands locked on Kathryn's waist. He was trying not to laugh but at the same time  trying to hide his smile. He admired Kathryn so much that he still thinks that she's beautiful even when she has smudged mascara on her face. Kathryn nodded, her bottom lip stuck out as she tried to hold in tears. 

"But I got scared. Really, really scared." 

"So, next time I say wait for me and I'll drive, what do you do?" 

"I wait for you." 

"Good girl." He said, kissing her nose. Kathryn finally smiled and wiped her own tears. She put her arms around DJ and gave him another hug before sliding off his lap and sitting on the chair next to him. "You look really pretty." He said out of nowhere. 

Kathryn scoffed, drinking the glass of water DJ prepared for her. "Where's Miles and Marco?" 

"Sleeping. Marco was too drunk to function and Miles was too tired." 

"What do we do then?" Kathryn asked, placing the glass of water on the table and sliding it towards DJ. He took the glass and refilled it again before giving it back to Kathryn. 

"Sleep?" 

"Are you sure?" Kathryn joked. 

"Or I can go home. I mean--"  

"Yeah, after everything that happened to me tonight, you're just going to leave." She rolled her eyes and crossed her arms. DJ just shook his head. 

"You're such a girl sometimes." 

"Because I am one." 

"Because I am one." DJ mocked before laughing. "Drink that glass of water then we'll go on a late night drive." Kathryn nodded. "And this time, I'm the one driving, okay?" 

**