Chapter 42: Asking for permission and long days

"At this point, I have no idea if you're mad at me or you're happy for me." DJ said as soon as Miles calmed down. She was still trying to catch her breath after all the crying she did after the past twenty minutes. "I never knew someone could cry that much."

Miles glared at him. "Say, Lela told you she's getting married right now. How would you feel?"

DJ kept quiet; putting himself in the situation. By just thinking about it, his chest tightened and he felt his head throbbing a bit. He sighed, giving Miles an apologetic look.

"I'm happy for you." She started, even giving DJ a smile. "It's about time, actually." She paused momentarily, wiping another tear and mumbling to herself to get a grip. "But like, Kathryn's been with me for over a decade. She's like..." She lifted her arm and pointed at it to make a point. "She's like my arm." She sighed, crossing her arms. "I can't imagine not waking up to a messy sink in the morning. I can't imagine buying groceries for one instead of two. It's odd." She said, staring at the floor. "But honestly?" She looked at DJ and smiled. "I couldn't be any happier for you."

DJ broke a smile and opened his arms for his girlfriend's best friend. Miles gladly took the hug and even cuddle closer to his chest because she felt like crying again.

"But please promise me you will do everything in your power to protect her and that you will love her with all of your heart." She mumbled against DJ's chest.

"Of course, I will."

There was a moment of silence. Even Miles held herself back from leaving a sarcastic remark so the moment wouldn't be ruined. They released from the hug and adjusted themselves on the bean bags.

"So," Miles clapped her hands together and grinned. "How are you planning to propose? Oh-did you tell her family? Did you visit her dad's grave?"

"I'm going to. Today, actually. And I was hoping you could come."

"Why?"

"Because I need moral support. Otherwise, I'd shit myself."

Miles rolled her eyes. "DJ, you're marrying their princess. You're bound to shit yourself. They expect you to shit yourself no matter how much they love you."

"I know that's why I'm asking you to come with me. Will you?" He asked. "Besides, I know you wouldn't want to miss on anything about this."

Miles scoffed. She stood up and held a hand to DJ which he gladly reached. He stood up too and slid both of his hands in his pocket.

"Fine but I need to shower first. When are we flying back?"

DJ looked at his clock and thought for a minute. "Within the day. If we leave at 12:30pm and we follow our schedule, then we'll be back before 9pm."

"Sounds good to me. Are you going to drive me home?" DJ nodded. He held the door open for Miles unconsciously and led her to the elevator. Both of them were silent. DJ was thinking of how he will ask for Kathryn's hand when they get to Nueva Ecija, meanwhile, Miles' mind is just blown away. Her best friend is getting married. She's supposed to feel a bit of bitterness, right? Because she was supposed to be a bride herself. But no, all she could feel is love and excitement for Kathryn. Her heart could burst.

She slid in the passenger seat of DJ's car and didn't utter a word for the whole ride. Which was odd, since Miles dreads silence. She absolutely hates it and she will do anything to fill silences but this time she didn't even try. Even her, needed the silence.

They reached her apartment and DJ said he'll stay in the car. According to what Kathryn told him the night before, she has a lot of meetings with the board and her lawyers. He decided to just quickly send a text to her saying that he has a flight but he doesn't tell her where. There was no reply. He was right. Kathryn is indeed busy.