Chapter 36: Cancelled Weddings and Children

"There's no more wedding." Miles dropped the news as if it was something light. She barged in Kathryn's office and dropped the bomb not caring who was in the office besides her best friend. Kathryn was ready to shout at whoever it was behind the door who had no decency to knock but couldn't even open her mouth after Miles said the news.

"Excuse me?"

"I'm not getting married anymore. No more wedding." Miles shrugged, sitting on the couch across Kathryn.

"I'm not sure if I'm hearing you right." Kathryn said, walking to Miles. "Why?"

Miles rolled her eyes and shrugged. "I thought I wanted to get married but remember when we drove all the way South to try my wedding gown? I looked in the mirror and I just wasn't ready." She sounded sad but relieved. It was as if a weight was lifted off of her shoulders.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"Because you and mom were so excited for me. When he proposed, I was on cloud 9. But I didn't expect it to be this fast and I'm 26! I'm only 26."

"Miles, some get hitched at nineteen."

Miles gave Kathryn a glare for her idiotic reply. "You don't get it, do you?"

"You're right, I don't." Kathryn sighed, sitting on the couch next to Miles and grabbing her legs and putting it on her lap. "Enlighten me."

"I'm not yet ready to get tied down. I don't see myself being a wife yet, let alone a mother. I love Marco but do I really love him that much to get married to him? I'm not sure. I want to do a lot of things and I know becoming a wife won't change anything but God knows how much Marco loves kids and he just wouldn't shut up about it. I don't want to get into something I'm not sure about."

"What did Marco say about this?"

It was as if Miles was and was not expecting this question. Either way, she didn't know where to start.

"I told him I didn't want to get married right now. He flipped, went into some bar and fucked the life out of some whore."

Kathryn's eye widened. Not only because of Marco's actions but with how casual Miles was being.

"And you're totally okay with that?"

Miles scoffed. "Who am I kidding? Of course, not. But if fucking other people is his outlet for his anger, then I'm pretty happy with not marrying him because how many girls will he fuck in his lifetime as my husband if we get into arguments and fights?"

"I'm gonna have to smash his face."

"No need. I was with Leo and Steele when I went to his house and caught him fucking the whore. They beat the shit out of him."

"And the girl?"

"Ran for her life." They both laughed. Kathryn could only imagine what kind of beating Leo and Steele did to Marco. She looked at Miles. There were dark circles under her eyes and her ring finger was missing a ring. It looked odd but despite the big eye bags, she looked fine. She imagined her screaming and tearing her head off if the wedding got cancelled but right now, she is the one almost on a mental breakdown. She was so excited for this wedding. How did everything turn out to be like this?

"Why didn't you call me? You were gone for three weeks, Miles. The least you could do is call me. I'm your best friend. Why are Leo and Steele the first ones to know? I can throw a good punch too, mind you."

Miles smiled and poked Kathryn's rib.

"I know. Three weeks ago, Marco and I just really wanted some alone time so we flew to Maldives. I told you about Maldives, didn't I?" Kathryn nodded. "We went there and hung out for a while. We were both so caught up with the wedding arrangements, we were losing time for each other. And frankly, we were losing something but I couldn't figure out just yet. On the third day in Maldives, I finally knew what was missing. It was me. I was missing. So I told him, I wanted to call off the wedding. I tried telling him why and how I just needed some time and he flipped and took the earliest flight home the next day." Kathryn squeezed her hand. "I stayed until the week after that. I was sure he just needed time, himself. I cried for a bit until I decided to fly back home on the second week. I cried on the plane and on the airport. Leo and Steele, just got home from Singapore. For some event, Leo was a guest in. They saw me and dragged me to some coffee shop and got me to talk about what happened. Steele was a hundred and ten percent sure that we should go to Marco's house. Besides, it has been a few days after our fight. So, we got there. Steele was so excited, I was nervous and Leo was pulling off his big brother side that day." Both of them smiled. Who would have thought that Kathryn's ex-boyfriend Leo, now Steele's boyfriend would be some sort of big brother to the both of them? "We walked in, I had my key. We went upstairs and then there was Marco. Sticking in his dick in some whore's vagina. You wouldn't imagine the horror on my face and the anger in Leo's and Steele's. They just pulled them both away from each other and started beating him up. I was glued to my position, unable to process of what happened. The girl ran off, I was still staring at Marco who was getting beat up by Leo and Steele. For a moment, I thought they were going to cut off his dick or kill him but they stopped and they looked at me and I just told them that we should go. And we did."