One Shot # 2: Look After You

"You want to cancel the wedding?" It seemed like a scene from a movie. Kathryn dropped her coffee and spilled it all over her desk and shirt. Aisha stared at her with sad eyes. Those she never wanted to see from the day she was born. She wanted Aisha happy, all the time. She quickly tidied up her desk and wiped her shirt. She threw the coffee cup from the bin and stood up. "Remind me to call maintenance when this conversation is over." She mumbled. Aisha only nodded. Kathryn transferred to the couch and waited for a reaction from her daughter. "A, the wedding is all set. The venue, the food, the invitations, the gowns..." She trailed off. Of course, she can't ask Aisha to go through something that she doesn't want to but everything is settled and the wedding is set in two weeks.

"I feel like I'm not doing the right thing. I'm only twenty five. Isn't twenty five young, mom?" Aisha asked.

Kathryn was trying to study her or at least look for something, an answer.

"Is it Keith? Did he do something? Did he cheat on you? I swear to God I'll screw his ass over if he cheats on you. Did he hurt you? Your dad and your brother will beat him up, don't worry. And you have Ash, Harvey and Luke!" Kathryn started to ramble. What could be the reason? Keith was every guy a mother would want for her daughter. He was goal-oriented, God-fearing, and responsible and he loved Aisha with his whole heart. Aisha was one of the lucky people to have met their first boyfriend and marry them. It was something she thought she and her daughter shared.

"Mom, it's not Keith. Keith and I are okay... for now." For now, sure. She hasn't broken down the news that she wants to break off the wedding. "Mommy, what if Keith wasn't the guy for me?"

"What are you talking about? Keith is the guy for you."

Aisha rolled her eyes. "You're just saying that."

"But you were so happy and you were on top of all the preparations. What's wr—what happened?"

They stared at each other. She was her mother. She can tell her everything. BUT if she can't admit it to herself, how will she ever admit it to anyone else?

FLASHBACK

It was the summer of sophomore year in University. Aisha decided to study abroad for better education and opportunities and it has been two years. She's eighteen now; still on top of her class whilst juggling a job and still enjoying her life. Her best friend, Ash was an exchange student for his sophomore year as well from back home. They hung out 24/7 and Ash lived in the apartment next door. They only saw each other during holidays in the past two years so hanging out every day was a sigh of relief. The two have been hanging out since they were little (SINCE AISHA WAS BORN) and couldn't be separated since! Not until Aisha had to go abroad.

The thing about Aisha and Ash was they were eighteen and they knew each other their whole lives.

And they were in love with each other and everyone knew that of course, except for the two of them. Neither of them dated anyone else and their time was spent hanging out with each other. They slept next to each other sometimes and they went on dates and they had lunches. It was a relationship with no label and neither of them would like to admit it. For Ash, he was a hundred and ten percent scared and for Aisha, she was a hundred and ten percent unsure. Both were aware of their weaknesses and neither of them wanted to do anything about it.

"So, you're leaving next week..." Aisha said, plopping on Ash's bed as he packed for next week. His one year was up and he's scheduled to go home to continue studying there. "You sure you want to leave?" She asked.

Ash looked at her. He wanted to stay but what's in it for him? Aisha's life was here. She has built a new life in New York and he's done the same but he knew there will come a time that he wouldn't want to hang around Aisha anymore because of all the feelings. Ash shook his head and gave a fake laugh.