Chapter 17: Save Room

"I cannot believe I've been talking for about an hour now and you're not listening." Miles exclaimed not sounding even a little bit upset. Instead she just shook her head and raised an eyebrow at her best friend. Kathryn's leave from work was cut short when she decided that she couldn't stand doing nothing at home and she'd rather do paperwork in the office. Miles said yes to her decision seeing as all her bride's maid duties are over... for now. 

"I told you I have so much going on today and you should just come by tomorrow. And I'll see you tonight anyway." Kathryn replied as she continued to read the new contracts, new application forms, and some other stuff.

"Don't think that I don't know what you're doing, Kathryn." Miles warned.

Kathryn brought the folder closer to her face and leaned back on her chair. Miles stood up and grabbed the folder from Kathryn's hands then crossed her arms.

"Miles, those are important files. If you lose one, I'm going to kill you." 

"It's been a week now. You promised DJ you'd call him 2 days ago. And today is your supposed date. What's up with you?" If there was anyone more tired of Kathryn's stubbornness, it would be Miles. She had been waiting for Kathryn to call DJ but it never happened. She spent the last week all day and night at the office, not bothering to pick up her phone.  

"Get off my back, Miles. Will you?" Kathryn mumbled.

"I can't believe you're letting him go again. I swear to God, Kathryn." Miles rubbed her temples and shook her head before sitting back down. Auden, as usual, walked in the office and Kathryn silently thanked her for saving her from a potential argument.

"Miss, you have lunch with your brother in 15 minutes." She smiled. Kathryn looked at Miles who looked extremely annoyed at her.

"Okay. Do I have anything else today?" 

"Nothing, ma'am. Just your normal schedule."

"Thanks. Go have lunch yourself, Auden." Auden thanked her before exiting the room. Kathryn looked at Miles who was now busy on her phone.

"I have to go meet kuya. Do you want me to drop you off along the way?" She asked, standing up and gathering her stuff.

"No, need." Miles said bluntly.

"Perhaps, you may want to join us? You haven't seen my brother in a while, anyway." She tried to lighten the mood but Miles was having none of it.

"No. You need quality time with your brother."

"You make us sound so close and loving. No, really. Join us." She grinned. Miles stood up as well but proceeded to the door, not waiting for Kathryn. "And besides, I hope your brother knocks up some sense into you." She said, sounding disappointed before turning her back and leaving the scene. Kathryn just shook her head and dialed her brother's number. She put the phone in between her head and shoulder, and tried to lock her door.

"Hi, hey. How are you?" She greeted her brother.

"I'm already here. Where are you?" Her brother, Kevin, asked. Kathryn looked at the clock and realized that she isn't even late yet.

"Stop complaining, I'm not late." She rolled her eyes even though Kevin couldn't see her. "I'll see you in a bit. I'm just going to get my car."

She heard her brother sigh but at the same time, she could feel her smiling.

"Fine. Try to do some things right and don't kill yourself on the way here. Bye." Typical brother; confusing and annoying. As she entered the elevator, she thought of what her brother had said: Try to do some things right. Although she was fully aware that he meant nothing by it, it made her get her phone again and send a text to DJ. Without hesitation, she started typing.